add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3D printed mini-itx case, would it work?

Executablefiles

3 months ago

I recently have came up with a concept, building a tiny pc that is as small as possible using a custom 3D printed case. It would have a Ryzen 5 2400G, 8gb 3000/3200mhz, and a 500/480gb m.2 drive. Obviously an sfx PSU would be used. I would also use the cooler master masterlite 120mm cooler for good performance and possibly lower heat dissipation than an air cooler. Portable wireless keyboards are easily found and so are wireless mice. Portable usb type-c monitors do exist. So would it work? The main thing I’m worried about is whether the cooler would melt the 3D printed plastic even when the flow rate and fan speed are adjusted properly. Also I’d love tips for good pc parts and designs for the case.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen it done before. If you're precise on placing Standoff locations and PCIE/IO locations on the case, you should be okay.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I’ve got that pretty much figured out. I just need to find out how heat resistant 3D printed plastic is

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

You should be good I think, there are already cases built out of plastic and there haven't been any melting issues with them.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Use a PICOpsu and the stock cooler to get even smaller

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The stock cooler isn’t that small. Also I’m trying to achieve the best airflow and the case I’m thinking about designing would have thin but long side intake vents and a larger top exhaust vent for the liquid cooler. A stock cooler wouldn’t work as well since there is no exhaust fan. But I will try and look into a pico PSU.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube