add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Custom built PC case

Linventor

2 months ago

So, I'm trying to put together a desktop, as a replacement for my almost 3 year old gaming laptop. And I just spent most of my available cash on a GTX 1080 from Ebay. Prior to checking clearance in the case that I've already got. Now, I know cases can be pretty cheap, but every little bit counts. Which brings me to my main point: I'm part of the Engineering program at my high school, and have access to both 3d printers and CNC routers. Assuming I have the materials, would I be able to design and build a PC case that would last? i.e. something on a similar level to a retail-bought case? And if so, what exactly would it take to build it?

EDIT: Am I missing something here? I've got a feeling I'm missing something, considering the 30 people that have looked at my thread, without commenting.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably no one knows what to tell you. Search on line for case templets. If the look of circuit boards are ok with you, check out YouTube for how to build mining rigs. I have seen them made out of plastic file boxes.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, the look I'm interested in is kind of a circuit board style, but also not really. Here's some reference images. So, having a completely clear case isn't really something that'd work out in the long run. I think my best bet is going to be A: learning how to use the CNC software, and B: getting AutoCAD to work on my home computer. At the moment, though, I'm somewhat swamped with work, so It'll probably be a while before I can get something together. However, it's probably doable in some aspect. Eventually.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Check out CAD design sites where people render and post pictures of real and fictional vehicles. They really go into detail and possibly you could use some of the data. Also look into scale modeling, people research real and fictional vehicles to build accurate static and flying/driving models.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I probably should've specified: I'm more interested in having a case that looks like it was made with the same materials as those fighters than having a case that actually looks like it's about to start flying around.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Again check with modelers, they are experts at making plastic, wood and foam look like metals, also you can learn how to add weathering and or battle damage.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I might get an old case and use the MB mounting panel out of it, the back plate. Take a look at making the rest. Bought cases are usually sheet metal, it really depends on if you are going to make the entire case. Will it be far different from a normal case or will you modify a bought case and make parts of it or cover parts of it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It PROBABLY won't be that different from a normal case. If I'm being completely honest, the main reason for my interest in building a case is twofold: First, I want one in a specific style that'll last me a decent amount of time. Second, $50, while small in comparison to the cost of something like a graphics card or motherboard, remains a not insignificant amount of money.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess it depends on how deeply you want to get into it. There was a person I think on here or someplace that made one from wood. If it were me and first time I would find an old case or buy a cheap ugly on sale one, and then use the key parts to mount the board and psu/drives, then make the rest or modify the rest. Though mounting the parts is not that difficult really other than a drive cage you may not even need as you can mount an SSD about anywhere. Depends on if you want a metal cage around it or not. I don't hear about problems from interference but the cage is there for a reason, faraday cage iirc. The only issue with modding a case is it may end up larger, depending on what theme you are trying to do.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Your suggestion of using part of a cheap case as a "template" has some merit, though if I get a cheap ATX case, I'm probably not gonna tear it apart to make something better. I'd rather make sure I've got somewhere to put my parts.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to get it running soon, yes this project could take a while. If you do it I would think it a matter of getting all your hard points in CAD, such as mounting surfaces and holes, where parts connect, etc. The rest is up to your artistic whims depending on what direction you want to go with it. I mean for example you could print up panels that look like tree bark or stones or some other texture, long as they fit together its all good, depending on how large you can print.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

While I do have an exact date for when I'm no longer able to use the tools that I need (start of winter break), the computer itself is not going to be complete and needing a case for a month or two. As for styling, I'm thinking a combination of a Gutamaya exterior and Guardian interior.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube