add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New SSD confusion.

paulk345
  • 6 months ago

I got an SSD to add onto my computer which I only had an HDD on. I had too much stuff on my hdd to completely clone it to the ssd, so I was told to clean install windows on my ssd. I didnt realize that that meant Im basically resetting my PC, as now it has two seperate versions of windows. The one with 900 gigs of stuff that I had been using for the past 3 years and now the new one with nothing on it. This is very annoying. Is there any way I can somehow merge these into one? If not I guess I'll try to delete half the other hard drive and just clone it over.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I did this but its work. You can take big usb or external drive and get all your stuff off there like photos/video, uninstall games and stuff. Then defrag to shrink it. Then get a util that shows you the drive and you will find stuff like the windows scratch and backup files at end of drive. You have to get rid of them with a special utility that deletes them, most files windows will make again. Once you get it all at start of drive and say 10% smaller than your target new drive, I used clonezilla with the size switch off to clone it and it worked fine. Then you can take your backup stuff and do whatever dump it back on the old drive, change the ID of your old drive and use that for your backup and extra stuff, but often windows might not want to run programs off the old drive or at least complex ones.

If you don't want to suffer through all that, buy a larger ssd or do a new windows install....sorry. You can look at clonezilla site for more info, I imagine other clone programs work similarly. For the time I had into that I should have bought a bigger ssd, but I had this 512gb laying there and so I suffered through it lol. Most of the stuff on that was just photo/video I could move easily its the windows files that are painful to deal with. That was a win7 pc.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

There might be many software options to migrate your windows from old drive to new SSD. However, for more better understanding of the methods to migrate your OS from HDD to new SSD, I suggest you to check out the below blog - https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-migrate-windows-10-from-old-hdd-to-ssd/

Hope it will help.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube