add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SAS sale?

T90

2 months ago

do SAS drives ever go on sale? I never thought of them until recently so I never payed attention to NewEgg emails. I'm looking for a 4TB minimum, 256MB cache preferred. The filters I've set should give flexibility for suggestions. (wouldnt 12 GB/s speed be nice) https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#i=86,22&A=3840000000000,16000000000000&C=134217728,4294967296

EDIT: gbs to GB/s for clarification

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a well prices SAS drive but with 128mb cache:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kXXfrH/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st6000nm0034

For 256mb cache this is a good deal too:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2R22FT/seagate-enterprise-capacity-10-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st10000nm0216

Now do you think you may be able to benefit from SAS over SATA? Explanation of SAS vs SATA here. In a nutshell SAS becomes helpful if you are running a server where there are multiple users accessing it at the same time. In a home PC where just you are using it I would still look for a SATA drive. If speed is a real concern you can get 1 to 2 TB SSDs for a reasonable price to keep the things that need the most speed like games and programs. Pictures/documents/music/movies do not need SSD speed and even a slower 5400rpm HDD has enough speed for those kind of things.

• T90
  • submitter
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

@Tetsuclaw thank you for being very helpful. Upon further research, I'm not sure if I am able to install a SAS. My motherboard has SATA ports but not SAS ports. I have read you can install a SATA HDD to a SAS port but not the other way around.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you doing something that would require SAS? If not I would not even worry about it. It would typically server motherboards that may have built on SAS. Consumer boards do not have it as SAS doesn't bring anything extra that a home user usually would be able to take advantage of.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You could try a sata raid, some MB will do it. I had one long ago but then a drive failed and it was a project to rebuild it, so I gave up on them. Of course that was the only time I ever had a hdd fail on me at home lol.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube