add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

m.2 comparison

Cloudwatoka

2 months ago

So i want to use a M.2 strictly for Windows maybe a few other files. I have read some reviews of people boards frying but these people don't give any details so i am skeptical. I would any opinions.

I am thinking of these two different M.2 drives. Leaning toward the Saberent because of the extra space. My main drive for space and games is gonna be a standard older 7200rpm Sata 3 HD. These are going in a Asrock B450m Pro4

1st choice. SB-ROCKET-256 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KGLN3HN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A29Y8OP2GPR7PE&psc=1

2nd. MKNSSDPL120GB-D8 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYQ6V66/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AAQGGA3IAV1C8&psc=1

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't go smaller than 240 GB. The Sabrent is fine. Really, you can use just about any NVMe m.2 drive, the speed advantage of the faster drives won't be apparent when used as just a boot drive.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have more budget I'd go with a 512gb intel 660p (around $55) or something similar. The moment you get any ssd in your PC you will see the hdd is really super slow. People are buying more Nvme m.2 (if your MB does it, some older MB only do sata on the m.2) because they are nearly the same price as sata ssd now and they are faster than sata. However sata3 ssd is WAY faster than hdd and worth the upgrade. If you use the hdd for smaller files like photos or storage that is fine, but if something you work with that is large file or games you want fast loading, you will want room on the ssd to run that. It is well worth a few extra dollars, it will save you time.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You're either making this decision because of a budget or because small SSD + large HDD was the normal for so long. But prices have dropped enough and HDDs are just so meh you really should consider getting a proper sized SSD with more than a pittance of space. Once you start using it the HDD is going to start feeling like a ball and chain. And in my experience more SSD space equates to more happiness.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube