add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which 1T SSD M.2 is best to get

PavelMan

2 months ago

Hello,

I want to upgrade my storage, with a new SSD M.2. I currently already have one, that is 500GB, but I installed windows on it, plus bunch of other essential software, so there isn't much space on it at this point. I have 2 regular internal HDD's, which I use for storage. Thing is that I'm a video editor, and work on Premiere and After Effect, and I was wondering if I should get a 1T SSD M.2, to store files during the edit for a faster and smoother process.

So here are my questions: 1. I currently have a 500GB SSD M.2 from Samsung, and it works pretty well, should I get another Samsung, or other manufactures are better? 2. Is it even worth it to put video files on this type of an SSD, and will I get really better results, or should I invest in a better GPU instead? 3. Which one will be better: Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB PCIe M.2 2280 NVMe or Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB 4. Should I simply get a regular and cheaper SSD instead of getting another M.2?

Thank you.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $109.98 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $109.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-12 13:28 EDT-0400

This is super fast and not much more than the 660p.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Now the real question is does your motherboard support 2 NVMe SSDs? If not you might be able to get an inexpensive NVMe M.2 expansion card to drop in a PCIe slot.

For your stated use I agree with Test19 on the Saberent Rocket SSD. Speed wise it is closer to the Samsung NVMe and price wise it is closer to the 660p making it an excellent value.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sabrent and Crucial make good NVMe SSDs for less than Samsung. Samsung is great if you can afford it, but you can save $100 off the 970 Pro and go for a Crucial P1 or Sabrent Rocket, then put that money into a HDD for mass storage, or into a new GPU.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sabrent Rocket, TLC NVME drive unlike the 660p or Crucial P1 which are QLC drives, which slow down as they get to 70% capacity.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are reading video files a Nvme drive should be faster than a sata, it should be faster with anything. Point now is the m.2 are almost the same price as sata ssd, why would you get slower sata if you have a m.2 open slot? Just make sure it can take Nvme and its not sata m.2. Even if it only has pcie x2 it will be faster than sata and should help you out with video editing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube