add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Racer2k5x

1 month ago

So the more surface area you have the better cooling, right? well what if you had access to a CNC machine and could cut copper tubes to have fins like you would find on a CPU heat sync. What do you guys think the temperature difference would be since your effectively adding a radiator at every run of copper tube?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm a bit confused about the necessity for finned tubing, or how it equates to a radiator.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's not a necessity but a radiator is anything that transfers heat from a high energy object to a low energy object. So you could bring your thermals closer to ambient and increast the heat capacity and dissipation rate of your loop.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you already had a lot of radiator surface area (which in a custom loop, you should) there would probably be very little difference. why reinvent the wheel since radiators already do a great job? not only would this be difficult to get right, you probably couldn't bend the tubing as well if you put fins all over it. There are lower limits to how cold your loop temps can be (just above ambient is the lowest in a conventional water loop). If you want lower temps, add a radiator to get it closer to ambient and maybe a better pump. if you want really fun temps, you will need to chill the water somehow.
As it turns out, I do have access to a friend's CNC rig, but I'm confident that this is impractical. good idea, but not worth it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

As it has been said before no need to reinvent the wheel and adding fins to heatpipes would do basically nothing given how most of the heatpipe is covered up by the heatsink.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Im talking about in a custom water loop setting

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So using copper tubing and adding fins to them?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You could, but alum fins would be better for air cooling. And you would be dropping heat inside the case right? Though not a lot so yes I think it would work, I think they don't just because that is what the radiator is for and its more work, would look different, etc.

Take a look at large ~5hp air compressors, a lot of them use a tube with fins behind the flywheel to cool the air between stages. Is that the kind of thing you mean sort of?

The last part is its hard to cut tiny fins in CNC, that is why most are extrusions. Have to use a small cutter so its slower and they like to break, unless you get a specialty cutter like a saw blade looking thing. Even after you pay for that, cuts are sharp and its work to debur it. On other hand it would be really easy to make a water block in a CNC. I have a trans cooler on my car and seems like that would make a good loop cooler, or a heater core, but yes they would be ugly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube