add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU is my weak spot

jm1gic

3 months ago

Good afternoon!

I built a PC, and long story short, I bought a Ryzen 5 2400G (because it had it's own graphics) with the intent to not buy a graphics card and save a few bucks.

Then by the time that I assembled everything, and started using it, I decided it wasn't working well enough, so I bought a graphics card. RX 580 Red Devil, and that seems to be working fine.

I have an Asrock B450 Pro 4 Motherboard.

My question is, I think that because I have a separate graphics card, I should look at replacing my CPU to make my system better. I am using this rig as both a gaming and streaming system so it's pulling double duty. What do ya'll think? Should I stay in the Ryzen 5 area, or jump to a Ryzen 7? Or something else all together.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

You should replace not becasue you had a dedicated GPU now, its fine to have a dedicated GPU and integrated graphics on the CPU, but becasue the 2400G isn't really that powerful of a CPU despite having SMT (due to how it was cut down). You will see a healthy jump in FPS with something such as a 3600 but since you are streaming I would go with a 3700X instead. Although a 2nd gen 2700 isn't a bad idea either given its price. It won't be as good as the 3700X but its nearly half of the price.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

When you say second gen 2700 are you referring to the 2700x?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, 2700.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd check the prices first, I think I saw a 2700x recently cheaper than most 2700 available. Also expect to require a bit more cooling for the 2700 as you likely have to overclock it for maximum performance (boosting falls off after a few cores. And quite a bit after the first one).

Disclaimer: I bought a 2700 on Prime Day and haven't bothered to overclock it (I'm still wondering if I can rig up an adapter for my incompatible AIO cooler).

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm still wondering if I can rig up an adapter for my incompatible AIO cooler

When there is a will there is a way. Who needs a adapter when you have zip ties.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a big difference between the 2700 and the 2700x?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If you stream - yes, you could potentially get a CPU with more cores.

And the best deal (price to performance ratio) is the Ryzen 2700 for $169.99.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice price! :D

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I do sort of live near a micro center, but then I have to ask myself. is the 3 hour drive worth it, and what am I spending in gas haha

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Then no, just get a 2700 then, and probably get $80-100 for the 2400G. Cheapest on ebay is $90 for a 2400G with no cooler, next is a new one for $110.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

This is great information, thank you!

Will my current MoBo limit me at all jumping up to the Ryzen 7 with the 2700 or 3700x? Or does it not matter?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It will be fine.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, awesome, thank you!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure you first flash your bios if needed, if you get a new 3000 ryzen.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

what does that mean?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The new ryzen that just came out, the 3000 series, is not in the bios of older am4 motherboards and will not work until the bios is updated. They will only work in new boards that are 3000 ready and have the new bios in them, or X570 boards. Most boards they offer a new bios now that you can flash in your board. If you put the 3000 in there without it, it will never boot as it will not recognize the cpu. 3000 ryzen cpu will not be in specifications of older AM4 boards. I am assuming you built this PC a while ago, 3000 series cpu came out about 3 months ago.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, I built it before that. Where do I get the info to flash it?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Find your board on the Asrock site, hit support or downloads, should be there.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

fantastic, thank you for your help!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube