add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen vs Intel

Pliskin36

1 month ago

Trying to upgrade to a pretty nice cpu. Everywhere I got I see suggestions for Ryzen. I have had intel for 5 years no issues. My question is if I switch mother board cpu and everything g is there any “special” things I’ll have to do with saved data/windows because I’m using a different cpu?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you're upgrading your CPU and motherboard, backup any important data and reinstall windows onto your newly upgrade system.

Regarding Ryzen vs Intel, it depends on how much you can get either CPU for and the CPU's in question. Generally, the Ryzen 5 3600 is a great start as it's reasonably priced and has single core performance close to both the high end Ryzen and Intel CPU's.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is there a link or something I could use to backup windows? Thank you for the tip. Will my files on my 1tb remain on hard drive when switching over?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Just grab an external hard drive and copy any files from your documents, music, pictures etc... over. Anything you wouldn't want to be deleted. If you play any games, your launchers may or may not have ways to back up data from your games which store important data locally (singleplayers games etc...). Steam offers this as a Backup and Restore games which puts all your data into some files to transfer to an external drive. After all that is done, you'll need to get a bootable USB with a copy of Windows on and boot your PC with that choosing the option to delete everything as you need a clean install of Windows for your new hardware in particular. On top of this, you'll need to transfer your license of Windows over assuming you have a non OEM version. If you do have an OEM version, you'll need to re-purchase Windows.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

is there any differences in the fact that all my drivers will be used to Intel? Will it be super hard to switch over all my existing things to the new ryzen style driver? Thank you for the information I know my cousin used a windows key for me that his company provided will I still need that key to retain my copy of windows? I am really hoping to not have to buy it again.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

As in drivers such as your GPU drivers? Unless you were using something like Intel Optane, everything is designed to work in conjunction with both AMD and Intel CPU's

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

drivers current save data and migrating over to the Ryzen would it conflict with my data currently on my system using intel? Just wondering how hard swapping is if I take the plunge

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Depends on your specific MB, but I've swapped in a larger cpu many times long as its something the MB can run. When you swap the entire MB all the drivers are different and it can be a big problem for windows, or it can be a good time to do a fresh install and get rid of junk that slows your system.

Right now Ryzen is nice in that if you get a decent MB you can run about any ryzen in it (am4 socket), so if you get a cheaper cpu you can upgrade later. If you buy a fast cpu today it may not matter as much because am4 is going away at some point.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If it is a 5 year old PC then we are talking before skylake and before ddr4. Due to the second hand cost of many of those CPUs like the i7 for whichever platform he has it does tend to be expensive enough that it is more worth while to upgrade to a new platform.

My question is if I switch mother board cpu and everything g is there any “special” things I’ll have to do with saved data/windows because I’m using a different cpu?

If there is a new motherboard/ram/cpu being installed no matter if it is Intel or AMD it is still recommended for a clean install of windows. This is not an Intel or AMD specific thing.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am just not sure why everyone says you are future proofing yourself getting Ryzen over intel. To be clear I am not disagreeing I just want to know the pros of the cpu and motherboard over intel. I will mainly be solo gaming with my pc

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

AMD stated they would fully support the platform until 2020 before killing it off.

They insinuated that there would be another generation launching next year although not to expect much from it.

Realistically anything you build now from either company is going to last longer then any potential upgrade path the platform offers, or isn't going to suit your needs when you build it.

For example your not going to pay full price for a 7700K or FX 8370 which were the last models on their sockets from each company when you can afford better performance on a new platform.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You suggest I just wait? Considering just getting a new gpu like 2080 super and bottle necking it with my i5 4590

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm not saying wait.

I'm saying that the upgrade path most push as a benefit only exists on paper as a theoretical benefit unless you knowingly don't buy what you need to begin with.

It would be like you buying a I3-4160 back when you did your current setup instead of the 4590, You created an upgrade path, and at the same time shortened the lifespan of your system requiring an upgrade sooner.

If you buy what you need now it will last you beyond any meaningful upgrade path since buy the time it needs to be upgraded the entire platform will be dead and you can get better with new rather then beating the dead horse.

Considering just getting a new gpu like 2080 super and bottle necking it with my i5 4590

It might not bottleneck at all. A combo like that works very well for pushing say a 4k@60hz monitor in gaming and would be arguably overkill for a 1440P@60hz, granted it might be underwhelming if you went for a higher refresh rate monitor and titles that are CPU heavy, but there is more to consider then a possible bottleneck.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha thank you for the reply. Yea the i3 was my cousin that just built my first ever gaming desktop around my budget I provided I was clueless and hands off because I didn’t know if it would grab my attention long.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm fighting the same religious battle myself. I've been an Intel guy most of my years, but did go Athlon (home) and Opteron (work) decades ago. My planned build is to include an i9 9900k but now I'm considering the Ryzen 9 3900x. I mean, the extra cores may come in handy with video editing, right? Being over 20yrs since I've built a home/gaming rig, I can't seem to find the info that will lock me into a decision.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube