add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Want to upgrade my CPU - compatibility with mobo issues?

Romans81

1 month ago

Currently, I have a Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H mobo and a Ryzen 3 1300 processor with a GTX 1060 6GB. I'd like to upgrade my computer over time, starting with the CPU. The PC build tool is telling me that, if I want to upgrade my Ryzen 3 to a Ryzen 7 2700, I may have compatibility issues. Can anyone help me to determine if I'd be okay to do that? Price range for a new processor is about $175, so, also, if there's a better processor in that budget, I'm all ears. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You must first update the BIOS to ver. F20 (at least) for making a R7 2700 to work on that board.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Can I do that now with my Ryzen 3 1300 and have it still work?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes sure. Update the bios of that board to the latest available version using the R3 1300, and after you can install the R7 2700.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

to the latest available version

Just a note of caution: do read the BIOS release notes at the gigabyte support site first. I haven't looked at gigabyte, but at least some of Asrock's boards tell you explicitly to not use the latest BIOS version unless you're running a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. Use the latest version recommended for first and second gen Ryzen's; it might be the latest, or one or two revs older.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah can be. I haven't checked ASRock boards BIOSes on that matter because he does use a Gigabyte one. lol

However i always visit the homepage of the board in question, and according to that i advise to make a BIOS update or which BIOS version would work at best or not. ;)

And that being said, i didn't find any notes that would cause a problem updating ot the latest BIOS.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Of course there is a procedure to follow for updating the BIOS to *F42.

Note: Before update BIOS to F40 or later version, make sure you have prior updated to F32.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you much for the help! Here's to some PC surgery in the near future.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You need a BIOS update to ensure the newer CPU would work properly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube