add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wifi Coverage Help

BigCerg
  • 4 months ago

im been looking and trying to extend the wifi coverage in my home since my modem is in the basement and barley get any signal upstairs, i have Verizon Fios Gigabit with their router, can i just get a wifi extender or do i need to get a new mesh router system. any advise/help is greatly appropriated.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You can certainly get better wifi routers than what they bundle. (is it still the Advantec?) Whether that will be enough is very hard to say without knowing specific, such as house size, distance from router to farthest point, what sort of walls or other interferers are in the way, etc.

In my case (small house but with awkwardly placed metal such as furnace, stove, etc) a Netgear ORBI base station did the job and I didn't have to add any satellites. I fussed with an extender before getting the ORBI and was never particularly happy with it (handoff issues, weird drops, etc).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the same issue my cable comes in lower level and limits range. I do have my own router its 5 bucks cheaper, so I can run a cat6 upstairs and move the router up there. Only issue is I have PC wired to it, but a gb switch should run ones I don't want to rewire. Problem with an extender is they usually don't hand off or have issues so you are connected to the one you started on. So not bad for an area you stay in, not good if you travel in/out of that area.

One thing you can do is try moving current router as high in the room as you can, it may help a little. If it has antenna move one or more perpendicular to area you want more coverage. Best signal comes straight out side of antenna. Some people even make reflectors to go behind if its against an outside wall for example.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube