add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please help me decide where to install my m.2 drive.

erikfox

1 month ago

I am finishing up my first build ever. So far everything is working well. I just purchased a 2nd m.2 drive (the first one is on the motherboard and is a Samsung 970 Evo. The x570 Asus Tuf MB has 2 m.2 slots but the second one is up close to the chip where I assume it is much warmer. I also have a Mailiya M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter Card which I can put in an empty slot and wonder if I should use this instead for the 2nd m.2 drive. The second m.2 drive is a Intel 660p 2 tb drive. Does it make any difference for speed or anything else which I use - the MB or the Adapter card? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q67BPn

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'd put it into the mobo m.2 slot and see how it goes. If you run into thermal throttling, you can either move it to your PCIe adapter, or throw on an inexpensive heat sink, or try to get more airflow past it in some way.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would use the MB m.2 unless I had some issue with them, my x470 board the second one runs on 2 lanes but its still faster than sata. So I want my OS on the one that runs x4 lanes, the fastest. I could use a card but doubt the difference is that great for my use. Far as cooling mine is under the huge cpu cooler, but the cooler fan hangs under the cooler some and blows air through there, so it does not get hot...but no I have not stress tested it and it does have a sink on it.

The x570 has pcie4, it is twice as fast as pcie3. There are only a few brand new drives out for pcie4 that go faster, but for the typical person not flogging drives it is doubtful it would matter. Be aware of what speeds your m.2 ports run. You should be able to run a disk bench program and watch the temps in Hwmonitor.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Asus gaming x570 plus:

3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors : 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors : 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110(PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support AMD X570 chipset : 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support 8 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s) Support Raid 0, 1, 10

So looks like one m.2 is pcie3 if you do not use a new 3000 ryzen. Which would only matter if you have a new pcie4 nvme drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube