add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3600X for 1080p video editing?

TheSingingCarrots

2 months ago

I think it'll be fine but I need to be sure

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

3600, 3600X or even 2700X.

All those will do fine.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I’d get the 3600 (non-X) as it’s simply much better value. But yeah, it’ll do absolutely fine for editing.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The price premium for the 3600X is worth it for the better cooler alone, if planning to use stock cooler anyway.

If not planning to use stock cooler, then sure, 3600.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Sadly it doesn't end up working like it used to.

The chiplet is offset to a corner so AMD got rid of the copper core on the Spire and moved to a faster spinning fan because only a quarter of the fin array is actively dissipating heat.

Similar situation to the first two Threadripper generations without a full coverage baseplate but without spreading out the thermal load.

Real kicker is they lowered thermal limits to 75c and upped the stock voltage to 1.35v baseline to fix the boost clock issues on top of it all.

They really need to reintroduce the older 125w near silent cooler for the lower models now instead of the Spire/Stealth or just use the Prism for everything.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it'll be fine but I need to be sure

For 1080p editing, the 3600/3600X is perfectly fine. If you already have a decent cooler at hand or plan on buying an aftermarket HSF, grab the 3600. If not, 3600X.

For a similar cost, a 2nd GEN 2700X throws in 2 additional cores / a multi-threaded gain of 20% for faster rendering. Also bundles in a pretty decent beefed up stock cooler (wraith prism)...which generally retails for around $30/$40 (sweet value proposition)

Personally i'd grab the 2700X, unless 3rd gen clockspeeds are expected to have a significant impact in your specific workflows (eg. more complex actively engaged project manipulations). If you're only occasionally rendering the finished product or don't mind waiting 1/5th of the time longer for post-rendered exports, a 3600/3600X does see a 15% increase in single threaded performance which can be useful in active tool responsiveness (this also applies to the system in general). It's down to preference, as long as you keep in mind - the 2700X does hold up as the better balance of the 2 and does a better job with faster rendering, capable of handling more than one project on the go, runs 8 physical cores (lesser latency with poorly optimised MT implementations) + if you push up on 4K render you've got plenty of horsepower to complete projects more quickly.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

definitely no worries.... with enough RAM you can even think 4K

• 2 months ago
  • 0 points

Any modern CPU and most older CPU made within the last 10 or so years will work for video editing.

The only difference is how fast tasking gets done and how well the programs run.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That doesn't answer his question

You basically only commented with the most "no **** sherlock" comment ever

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

How does that not answer the question?

And be specific.

Because answering with It won't be fastest, It won't be slowest, It may be fine, But we don't know how your defining fine so its guesswork. is really a worse answer.

• 2 months ago
  • 0 points

"is a 3600x good for video editing"

"any modern cpu will work for video editing, some faster than others"

your answer is the most "no ****" I've ever seen.

An answer would be like "A 3600x is great at video editing, it renders stuff in x time / whatever" not "any cpu can video edit"

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

An answer would be like "A 3600x is great at video editing

Depends on how someone defines "Great", pro user would laugh at it being great when they would never bother with something that slow, someone who is fine working on a Pentium laptop for editing would think its amazingly fast.

it renders stuff in x time / whatever"

Without knowing what programs are being used and the file size that can't be answered now can it.

not "any cpu can video edit"

And any modern CPU can edit.

Poster asked if it was good which is subjective, and if it was fine also subjective.

So rather then guess which even you are doing I gave an honest answer.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Heck, my cousin even edits videos on Celeron and iGPU!

(Not always though)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube