add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cable for SSD

intrafinesse
  • 5 months ago

On amazon the SSD (Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD - CT1000MX500SSD1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078211KBB?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 doesn't come with a cable but the link below it on Amazon shows a somewhat more expensive $13 cable:

(StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable - USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter - External Converter for SSD/HDD Data Transfer (USB3S2SAT3CB))

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=pd_bxgy_147_2/136-2168846-8334163?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HJZJI84&pd_rd_r=883a5dfd-72dc-4539-a917-50ecd8f0f0ff&pd_rd_w=QImD0&pd_rd_wg=iUY36&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=8N9XVBYJ0433GRDR8T4R&psc=1&refRID=8N9XVBYJ0433GRDR8T4R

What is the advantage of that cable over a less expensive $7 cable?:

(USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch SSD & HDD Support UASP 20cm, Black )

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Cable-Support-Black/dp/B07S9CKV7X/ref=pd_cp_147_2/136-2168846-8334163?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07S9CKV7X&pd_rd_r=c9252da3-d1e8-47ff-8e18-03e353dce929&pd_rd_w=mjjzW&pd_rd_wg=iX4ur&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=QTGB8YVDAV5YQ807QWQ0&psc=1&refRID=QTGB8YVDAV5YQ807QWQ0

I'll pay the extra if it's worth it. Are they the same thing, and equally good for connecting a SSD?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

In my experience probably nothing. A few cables are needed for higher quality for example 4K hdmi where older cables may not work. Sata cables are old tech and even usb3 is not that new anymore, unless its faulty it should work. Your chance of faulty can be greater on cheaper products typically, but I rarely have an issue. I only say this because gold plated expensive cables are usually a ripoff. For a few things they can be worthwhile; a better cable may take more abuse charging your phone/etc or look cooler, but most of them are not necessary because they don't transfer power or data any differently. So yes it may be a better cable, but will it make your drive faster I doubt it. Unless one cable is actually different, such as it includes a power supply because you are connecting something large, etc. Looks like all the cables listed generally have good reviews even the $5 one, the $7 one is amazon choice. The lengths can be different make sure it is size you need.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I only say this because gold plated expensive cables are usually a ripoff

Reminds me of the LTT video where they review a $1000 HDMI cable. I am at work now so I can't access youtube to find it but I am sure it is easy to find. There was no compelling reason to spend $1000 on a cable where a $10 cable was able to do the same job.

Though splitting hairs on a $5 or $7 cable isnt much and if it were me I would hit the $5 cable. If there is a speed difference due to electrical noise then the difference would likely be too small to notice and only really effect the total max speed, bit the responsiveness of the drive itself. Small as in say getting 500MB/s read to a 499.99 MB/s read.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Those are active SATA to USB adapters, not just cables. The more expensive one might, maybe, behave better under loads, or might, maybe be able to reach higher continuous or burst speeds.

If they were just cables, then it's unlikely that the more expensive one is usefully better, especially if it's for a build-and-forget.

The poster child for ridiculously expensive cabling is high end audio. I seem to recall reading a review of a $1500 AC power cable (yes, just AC) that claimed it improved the sound. (yes, it was plugged into a custom wired $xxx wall outlet.) And it's not hard to spend upper 5 figures for a set of speaker cables.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube