add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

QVO worth saving a few quid off EVO?

1155skt

1 month ago

I went for samsung EVO over samsung pro because the performance stats wont affect me for everyday use. The redundancy and increase read/write ops of the pro wasn't any use for me either.

So far it's worked very well for me.

What about QVO, inital google research tells me it's not as economical (power consumption wise), nor fast as EVO. How much less of a performer is it? Are we talking about marginal differences or is it significant. It's advertised as being an ideal SSD for a storage drive, perhaps in a games console or something.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's a QLC drive with QLC downsides I wouldn't spend any extra on it because its a Samsung and you can get solid NVME drives for roughly the same price these days.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-860-qvo-ssd,5920.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13633/the-samsung-860-qvo-ssd-review

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So QLC cost savings over TLC worth it or nay?

I am running a samsung pro SSD on my main computer, but the prices for EVO were too great for me to not go for it.

I wouldn't quite move onto NVME drives as I tend to make used of my old SSD drives on laptops. My crucial m4 drive is now in my wifes macbook. My Samung pro SSD is about to be donated to my email and surfing laptop.

SSD prices are dropping too fast these days. I remember when I got my crucial m4 128GB it was so expensive. But now you get 128GB on thumb drives and you can't use it as the only drive on any working PC.

My logic is that if I get a NVME drive for my PC. In 2 years time when the capacity becomes pants on a desktop. I can't upcycle it for any other purpose and will use up a PCI-E slot.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

At that price no if you need Sata get a Team Group L5 lite 3d cheaper and better.

Just noticed the UK pricing get a MX500 instead.

Samsung used to have an advantage but between Sata controller development dead ending and NVME reaching mainstream prices they are no longer worth the asking price.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. I can see the mx500 is cheaper than the samsung EVO. I'll go for that (at the price of samsung QLC)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the QVO is about as slow as an HDD. I bought one and file transfers of 120'ish Mbps were insanely low for a purported SSD. Possibly the worst purchase I ever made and it cost me around $250 for a 2TB drive.

For mass storage you can get an Intel NVMe drive for under $200 that will have 2TB of storage. True the 660p series is extremely slow for an NVMe drive but it is still a good deal faster compared to the Samsung QVO. The 4TB Samsung QVO may have potential for a small form factor build that only accepts 2.5" drives. A 2.5" 7200rpm drive of 4TB storage is non existent and even a slow SSD like the QVO would fill this gap.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube