add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2TB M.2 Recommendations

TMatzelle60

3 months ago

I am looking for a 2TB M.2 for my SFF pc. I heard the 660p is not a great choice. Im looking for a great drive with long lasting durability.

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-2tb/p/N82E16820250093

How is that above I know its only a Sata M.2 but will it perform well or can it drop below 2.5 ssd speeds

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

The 660p will always beat or at least match a SATA drive even if it fills up. SATA is SATA and form factor makes no difference in speed (unless the SSD overheats!).

If the 660p makes you nervous, try the Sabrent Rocket or even better the HP EX950.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a 2 TB Sabrent Rocket. More than triple the durability of the WD Blue and faster.

The durability rating of that WD Blue isn't that much better than the 660p.

Worth noting the 660p is a great drive and would still last a long time for most users; durability generally isn't a concern unless you are dumping and removing massive files like high resolution footage every day.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Worth noting the 660p is a great drive and would still last a long time for most users;

Well for the average home user that wants to use it on a gaming PC chances are it will take them 10-15 years to hit the write durability cap on the WD blue or 660p. In that time chances are FAR better will be out and these drives would be obsolete by then. Write durability only becomes a concern for a use case that is constantly writing to the drive such as using it as a scratch drive in video editing. Constantly writing 100GB or more data and removing it after per project (professionals can do multiple a day) can burn through it and that is when I would look at the write endurance of the drive. 100Gb is not unrealistic due to space requirements for raw 4k footage.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube