add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Extra 4 pin power?

TheSingingCarrots
  • 5 months ago

So I know that the extra 4 pin connector supplies the system with extra 12 volt current for overclocking, my question is if I need that since I plan to feed my CPU 1.35 volts

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No, you don't need it unless you are getting into extreme cooling like liquid nitrogen, and maybe not even then depending on your CPU. A single 8-pin EPS connector supplies somewhere around 230 watts (I don't know the exact number), which is more than any Ryzen draws, and more than any i7 or i9 except maybe very heavily cooled and overclocked.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

So say I'm using 240 mm liquid Cooling and using a 3600x I'll be fine?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem at all.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No its not needed. Even if you feed the processor with the maximum capable Voltage for that processor even then one 8 pin EPS power connector is enough.

If the processor doesn't run stable on that specific voltage number, that means either the CPU has reached its limits or there is insufficient cooling to the processor, the VRM is inefficient, or bad thermals inside the case (insufficient airflow).

And on that matter, even if the board did use 3 EPS power connectors even then your processor wouldn't be able to reach a certain amount of OC.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube