add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

DDR3/LGA1151

Senzis

1 month ago

I recently came in possession of 32GB of DDR3-1600 and I would like to upgrade my current system around it. I'm currently running LGA1150 and the motherboard maxes out at 16GB (It actually maxes out at 32GB, however I do not have enough physical slots on the motherboard to accommodate it, since it's in [8GB x 4] format.)

Since I already have a full system, I just need a CPU/Motherboard to complete this upgrade, and i'm looking for opinions. In a nutshell, i'm looking for a LGA1151 CPU and motherboard that is compatible with DDR3.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

There isn't one.

LGA1151 is only compatible with DDR3L.

Standard voltage DDR3 (1.5v) will kill the CPU memory controller in short order leaving you with a poor paperweight/tiny throwing star.

Sell it off and put it towards buying DDR4.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

A used i7-4930K and Socket 2011 motherboard might be something to look out for?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You are out of luck. There aren't any compatible with DRR3. Just sell it and get some 16GB DRR4.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Found this

It technically LGA1151, but 6th gen.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

They were compatible with DRR3L, not DRR3. Yes DRR3 worked but you ran the risk of killing your CPU due to the IMC not being designed to handle 1.5/1.65V.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Get a DDR4 Ram kit for an LGA 1151(v2) socket board.

DDR3 aren't compatible with that socket, they don't even fit (physically) in the Ram slots of an LGA 1151 board. Last but not least DDR4 pin count and arrangement is different too.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube