add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How do you dual-use HDD and SSD

Animepopcorn

1 month ago

So, I'm pretty new to this scene, and I've done some extensive research, but the one thing I can't seem to find is how people use both an SSD and a HDD together. So SSD is speedy, so you just install the OS on it then you use the HDD? Or interchangeably use them? Can you chose which of the two you save something to?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So, I'm pretty new to this scene, and I've done some extensive research, but the one thing I can't seem to find is how people use both an SSD and a HDD together.

They're just storage, you just use them. The reason why there's nothing especially describing how to utilize them is there's nothing special to write.

So SSD is speedy, so you just install the OS on it then you use the HDD? Or interchangeably use them? Can you chose which of the two you save something to?

People have had systems with multiple HDDs for decades. Throwing a SSD into the equation doesn't really change anything, outside of the dramatic performance benefits of SSDs, which would encourage you to put things you want to benefit from that performance on the SSD for fairly obvious reasons. And misc data storage, backups or low priority software would go typically on the HDD. But even that is dependent on how small the SSD is. Large enough SSD, or enough SSD space would alleviate having to manage that too seriously as well.

Or you can just run a large enough SSD or multiple SSDs, which is what I do, because the performance of HDDs is so bad.

But there's not a right or wrong configuration per se, or a right or wrong way to utilize your storage. You're free to do what you want. And try not to overthink it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for the information!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

HDD: things that need size but not speed. Movies, backups, some games.

SDD: things that need speed, preferably not too big. Boot drives, applications, data saved from said applications, games with long level loads.

There are a few programs that do this for you, primocache (about $30) and AMD's tiering system (which has a ton of restrictions and has been known to corrupt disks). Windows 10 had a similar system enabled, but I couldn't get it to work (it might no longer be enabled).

https://nils.schimmelmann.us/post/153541254987/intel-smart-response-technology-vs-windows-10

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

They are both drives, like others said you use them how you want. The SSD is much faster so if you put the OS on it you will boot much faster, any program you start will load almost instantly unless its massive. Most use HDD only for large storage drives say over 2tb because SSD become very expensive then. For photos and video a HDD works fine, if you edit one you want to be on a SSD. SSD price has come way down so today many are going up to 1tb maybe 2tb SSD main drive and only a HDD if they need more than 2tb storage or they don't have budget left. Or get a couple 1tb or less SSD today and more when you run out of space. Some gamers for example run 500gb SSD and just have the games they play and OS on there, then move other stuff to HDD. Because some gamers spend (most of their budget) on cpu/gpu for best performance and a faster 500gb SSD is reasonable cost while a HDD is cheapest for storage of games they are not active with. Lot of gamers here building their own PCs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube