add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best budget-mid range 500GB m.2 SSD

Executablefiles

1 month ago

I am worried that my Kingston SSDs are going to fail any time now as I have checked reviews and found out they’re dramless. I am planning on reevaluating my storage setup which includes a 2TB HDD and a 480/500/512gb M.2 drive. My budget is $65 but I may be able to go a couple over. I have an MSI B450M gaming plus motherboard. What is the best option for me?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

A crucial P1 or Intel 660p if NVMe is an option. A crucial MX500 if SATA is a must.

They're all around $65 @ 500GB.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Does the western digital blue also sound good? The price of one is nearly the same as those.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

It's a SATA drive, but I've got no particular complaints about it. It's just not in the list of drives that pop into my head when I think about SSDs (which doesn't mean anything and should not be read into). It should be as fine as anything in that price range.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Are you actually having a problem, or just worried about it?

Do you have backups? If not, why not? because any storage solution, SSD or hard drive or mercury delay tube or charcoal marks on papyrus, can and will eventually fail.

Dramless SSD does not imply imminent failure, nor does anecdotal amazon or newegg review information. I'd stop worrying about it and start worrying about whether you have the right backups to reconstruct your system if (and when!) the storage units do fail.

My personal, anecdotal story is that when I do all the right backups at all the right times, nothing fails. When I blow it off thinking that tomorrow is good enough, lightning strikes.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I do have a backup for this stuff so I should be okay, but I would like a better storage solution that is less likely to fail.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Dramless doesn't imply failure prone. In order to make an informed choice, you'd need actual failure and RMA rates from the manufacturer and retailers, and unless you work there you aren't getting that information.

Your best option, which is out of your budget, is to buy another SSD and HDD and set them up as mirrored pairs (RAID 0). That will at least protect you against failure of a drive.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sabrent Rocket, $60, call it a day. Very fast.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am also looking for reliability. I’ve had people say that the reviews for the Sabrent rocket are mixed.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I see a 4.6 on Amazon.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube