add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M.2 Sata v. M.2 NVME, pros and cons

dk10438
  • 3 months ago

planning on building a mid level gaming computer for my son and I have a few questions regarding storage. Parts list at this time include Ryzen 5 3600x, Tuf Gaming x570 board, Saphire 5700 XT. I'm trying to decide on storage and I'm wondering what if any advantages are there to using an M.2 Sata drive over NVME? Excessive heat production with the NVME? Is an M.2 NVME storage suitable for the sole storage for the computer? Thinking about getting a Crucial P1 v. WD M.2 Sata

Thanks!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

also since this is my first build, simplicity is desirable. ie I've read that the M.2 NVME needs a heat sink? Would like to avoid that if possible unless the M.2 Sata needs a heat sink too?

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Usually benefit of SATA M.2 Drive vs NVME is price mostly. Second factor is usually depending on workload, a NVME drive may not offer any tangible increase in workload performance vs a SATA drive.

Now in respect to heat, yes a NVME drive can get more warm, but largely a non issue when comparing solely on performance vs SATA. Reason is half decent case airflow can remove most the heat without a heatsink of sorts. If you do find it an issue, that board does have a NVME slot with a cover, but may want to compare as in some cases they do not always help thermally. Other reason is usually you will not see thermal throttling as such unless your hammering the drive. Though to an extent, this is the use case (when moving large video / files) when you may encounter some throttling over a slightly longer time frame. Finally, most these M.2 drives when they get overly hot will lower the performance. Even then however, when performance is limited, it will usually be much higher performance wise then what a SATA based M.2 drive is capable of from a pure speed comparison purpose.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Price on nvme (pcie) drives has come down, the fastest ones are still more expensive but the midrange ones are near same price as sata or sata m.2 and much faster. There is no reason not to use one. They are the same drives the only difference is faster ssd drives may use faster chips or controllers. Sata is limited due to the motherboard controller being spec sata speeds while nvme is limited by pcie 3.0 x4 or x2 speed. Now new drives are coming to run on pcie 4.0 that is twice as fast, but in reality unless you do commercial video editing/etc you wont need them any time soon.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Far more important than heat for these is the controller...you need a good one.

Sabrent or Corsair MP510 is the best budget one - I have a 500gb MP510 and I am very happy with it.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube