add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Core I5 9400f vs ryzen 5 3600

TheSingingCarrots
  • 5 months ago

Which is better for gaming

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Strictly looking at performance the 3600 but its not by much at all.

Price to performance heavily favors the 9400F which depending on title selection trades 0-5fps on average for costing less then 3/4 the price with its price cut.

But then again you also have the 2600 for 2/3 the price of the 3600 that is only 10% behind the 3600, so it isn't just Intel gutting the value of the newer models.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

hopefully next generation the i5s with Hyper Threading inherit the price-performance of these

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Strictly looking at gaming price to performance I think the I3 are poised to take the cake with $100-$120 7700k performance.

Intel confirmed all future "F" models will be at a lower price, so the 9100F replacement is going to be a budget powerhouse.

Apart from gaming the I5 with 8700 performance are going to be very competitive, its only in the high end that I think Intel will struggle.

That might actually lose AMD some of their customer base interestingly enough since their almost cult following has always been about the budget range.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

while the i3 10100F(?) is going to be a powerhouse, the i5 10400F(?) is going to really shine against the Ryzen 5 3600

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

What they really should do is offer two models.

One with no cooler.

One with one of the M9I/Pure Rock Slim knockoffs for an additional $10-$20.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I would usually be advising Ryzen 5 3600X considering overall package including cooler but looking at the price of the i5-9400F, one vendor @ $128 makes me rethink whether it is worth prioritizing performance over cost. The i5 is a very reasonable choice for a gaming CPU even at it's original MSRP. At six Benny's it is almost a steal.

A sub $500 somewhat decent gaming PC is within strike zone nowadays with the RX 570 being a value proposition at the same price.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube