add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hard drive for games

Poppa_Silk

3 months ago

Would it be better to buy a couple ssd's and or 1 large hdd. I currently have an 500gb m.2 and ssd on the system. Need some advice. Any suggestions on a hard drive also?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I put all my games on a SSD. Depends on how much space they take up most people don't need more than 1tb to hold all their games.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

A hard drive is absolutely horrible for gaming. You will encounter horridly long load times for most modern games and you will encounter graphic/sound stuttering to no ends. Your fps, surprisingly, will also be impacted. Source - my own personal experience.

Spend the money for a 1tb hdd on a 500g ssd, and then you can add more ssd's later.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input i appreciate it

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

you have laggy hardware if you experience what you stated above. That is a result of a outdated CPU/GPU/etc or all of the above.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah, it was the hard drive. If I moved my games off it onto my ssd everything worked fine.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I would agree, I put a 480 m.2 nvme in and a 3tb hdd for all my old stuff (<1tb of stuff). I should have gone with a 1tb ssd of some kind I think instead. I'll still use the hdd for old stuff but I put games on it and they are slower to work, games on the nvme are fast. Hdd are fine if you need huge, but if you can do 1tb ssd get one and add more later. So I'm using the 480 and when it gets half full I'll put a 1tb ssd in the other m.2 slot, but any kind of ssd is going to be better.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Buying multiple SSDs pretty much only makes sense at the >2TB range, so that changes things a bit...

I'd recommend looking into primocache (or possibly AMD's tiering solution) before buying multiple TB of SSDs. One large NVMe caching a huge HDD should cover any gaming situation (changing games would require pulling data off the drive giving you a slow first level load, but any subsequent level loads will be fine). Primocache seems to be favored for this type of thing, but I'm using the AMD system that comes with the motherboard as Steam is more or less automatically backed up (and I just use it for Steam and similar "safe" things).

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/321254-primocache-vs-hdd (unfortunately this is "primocache vs. HDD", "primocache vs. SSD" is probably the more commonly asked question).

For anything that needs to be backed up, HDDs are still king (of course you still have issues storing it locally), but nearly all the storage games used can be re-downloaded. You may be able to use an old hard drive for backing up the "everything else" issues.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

unfortunately this is "primocache vs. HDD", "primocache vs. SSD" is probably the more commonly asked question

Yeah sorry I didn't add a testing of Primocache HDD vs Intel 660 NVMe as my trial version ran out as I went on vacation shortly after that posting and by the time I was back the 30 day trial finished. I need to save up for a new fat bike too as it is my main transportation so it will be a while before I have extra spending money on extras like this. Good fat bikes are pricey and if you want to still bike to work after a foot of snow you kind of need one. If you want to hear my rant on why to never buy a cheap department store bike I will be glad to rant about my experience with my current bike in private messages lol.

SSDs are definitely faster than HDDs and no one will dispute that. Though what is up for debate is if the speed boost going to SSD is worth it vs the cost per GB of storage on HDDs. If you are loading games off your second drive then yes a SSD for a second drive would be totally awesome. You can get reasonably priced 1 and 2 TB SSDs these days but some people either can't afford the price of a 2TB SSD or need more storage for a larger game library. That is where Primocache comes in as a middle ground between cost per GB and speed. Partitioning a 100GB section of your main 480GB SSD and buying primocache to pair with a 6 to 8TB HDD to hold a huge steam library is a rather cost effective option where you have speeds that are still faster than a HDD. Getting that much SSD space would be rather pricey in comparison.

Now if you just have documents, pictures, music, videos, basically bulk files. Those generally do not need SSD speed so whatever is cheaper in cost per GB and large enough for your needs will fit well here and you don't need to worry about caching and such. Also remember about proper backup habits for any important data you don't want to lose.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Ty I really appreciate it! Probably get a 2tb ssd

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube