add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving Storage drives

Explodingapple2

1 month ago

I am planing on building a new PC and I was wondering if moving the storage from an old build to a new build would mess anything up.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Historically, windows doesn't like to boot off old drives onto new systems (linux doesn't care). Moving old storage as "D:" drives or more won't change anything. I suspect that any applications will have to be re-installed (Steam seems to find games and anything else it handles without issue).

This might be rather out of date: I recently updated my computer and was astonished at how much simply "just worked", although pretty much all I do on Windows involves games, typically through Steam.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Shouldn't be an issue. Data drives aren't that much different from using a thumb drive from machine to machine. It's just data and has no special dependencies generally.

The OS drive can be a different story. But my experience with Windows 10 is that it's pretty capable of handling a move. In testing I was able to move the wife's Win10 installation from an i5 2500k system to an i5 8600k system without issue, just plug and play effectively. She's been running it on the new system for a year with nary an issue. For giggles I also plugged in a clone of that installation into a 4th gen i7 laptop, again seemed perfectly fine. Kinda makes me wonder just how many pointless clean installs I may have done in the last 10 years.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube