add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU upgrade?

ishpot

1 month ago

So last year I built my first computer (see below). I went with the 2200g due to the integrated graphics because at the time GPUs were still rather expensive. I eventually got a decent deal on the RX580 and am now thinking about upgrading the CPU. Just wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600? or stick with my current CPU. The 2200g is honestly working fine I'm just concerned I am causing a bottleneck with the 2200g and the RX 580. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mt3XV6

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

My personal thoughts are if it aint broke....

If you do feel the itch to upgrade the Ryzen 5 2600 will do it. You should see a reasonable uplift in performance across the board although I am inclined to think the RX580 will run out of gas at 1080p before the 2200G unless you like to play with settings super low and at high refresh rates.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

The 2200g is honestly working fine

If you are having no issues with your current CPU then there is no reason to upgrade. You could push off upgrading until the 3000 series CPUs are going out of style and the price starts dropping on them like what happened with the previous generations.

If you do find you are running into an issue where you need more CPU power then the 2600 is a good value one to get now for getting 6c12t.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the responses!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I personally agree with the others. I’m still on 1st gen ryzen (R5 1600) and am waiting for the 3000 series to drop in price or might wait even longer for the 4000 series. I agree that the 580 will start showing age before your cpu but it also depends on the games you play

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response. Yeah waiting for the 3000 series to drop or longer for the 4000 series is starting to make sense. I've been playing Apex Legends, Albion Online and World of Warships all with no issues. Just recently purchased CoD MW and noticed the CPU was hitting 100% usage with only discord and the game running. Which basiclly had me questioning if my CPU was up to the task. Again thanks for the reply.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ah yea, MW is core hungry. Pretty sure it maxes out 6 core cpu's as well so it's a very cpu bound title.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree with the above comments hence if the upgrade path is "cost bothersome" stick with what you have until performance discrepancies warrant an upgrade.

My personal opinion will differ here based on personal preference. The 3600 secures up-to 35% ascended single threaded performance and all-hell-raising 150% nippier gains via multi-threaded workflows. This makes for a superb option for higher core count invasive gaming performance + future proofing. Depending on your wallet candidness, you don't need to hit rock bottom before considering the upgrade. I'd latch onto a 3600 in a heart-beat as its destined to improve game or system performance at a considerable scale. Possibly around 20-30fps gains @ 1080p (averages based on game type via ultra presets), or 30-50fps+ with a respectable in-game mixed configuration of med/high/ultra settings (again depending on game type).

The other aspect being, I can understand waiting for "sale-day" discounts but I wouldn't expect anything too rewarding with price drops in general. The 3600 is currently priced at $195. A used 2200G is re-saleable for around $50 (or $60 if you're lucky) which leaves you a total cost of $145. Possibly some additional savings during sale-day opportunities. Question is what is this type of performance uplift worth to you? For me, it's a no-brainer unless the wallet disagrees.

Other concerns: We don't have a clear picture of Ryzen 4000 either other than being AM4 compatible. Nor do we know how well it will measure on the cost-to-performance scale, or whether your current B350M motherboard will un-tap it's full capability or whether if it's even 300-series supportive.

noticed the CPU was hitting 100% usage with only discord and the game running.

A bloody good reason to upgrade if you ask me!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $99.04 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $99.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-02 00:34 EDT-0400

Even a $99 R5 1600 would be better for that game.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube