add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wifi 6 Network Cards & Routers - Worth it?

DKL2
  • 3 months ago

I just bought the Aorus GC-WBAX200 which comes with Wifi 6 since it was just $40 on Amazon. Now that I have it though..

is it worth it to continue down this path?

Is it worth it to invest in a Wifi 6 Router? Or possibly build a PfSense Router with spare parts to broadcast wifi 6?

Or is it something I won't even see real benefits from without certain conditions being in play?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Or is it something I won't even see real benefits from without certain conditions being in play?

That right there is the correct line of thinking.

For most doubling up on the bandwidth or carrying 20-25% more bits of data over the channels isn't required. For some consumers sharing the bandwidth can be a problematic with several active devices on-the-go (assuming higher bandwidth use). Or individual users demanding greater bandwidth for more immediate requirements with the likes of multiple higher res home streams, gaming at the same time whilst uploading live streams, etc. It simply boils down to personal circumstances and if your current bandwidth is already exceeding its limits, it's time to grab a WIFI 6 router.

Other benefits being: better and stronger performance in dense environments/network channel congested airways. Improved range too. If you're getting a good signal on your current configuration but mashed output with corrupting interference - WIFI-6 to the rescue.

It's unfamiliar territory for me as I'm yet to get a feel of the new. Only problem is, the current AC standard for me is simply "more" than sufficient and far from being saturated in our household environment. We get excellent performance with a moderately budget router and I don't see any immediate plans to upgrade or might even bypass AX all-together.

.....Essentially, its highly user bandwidth specific unless other bundled advances will aid, assist and remedy current on-going issues.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

atm the wifi 6 standard is not even finalized yet. but this companies push it out anyway ... their not guarantee that the router you can buy now. will work correctly with the finalized wifi 6.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube