add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 3000 and B450?

vfdolozo

2 months ago

So I'm building my first PC and as I wait to buy the GPU, I keep seeing about having to update BIOS in order for the motherboard in order to support 3rd gen Ryzen. Would this be required for me to do and if so can anyone point me in the direction of where to find the info to do so? These are the parts for my build. Like I said, I've purchased everything but the GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h3hJ8M

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Storage: Team MS30 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX PSU

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

No need for the thermal paste but you should of bought the max version of that board.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jcYQzy/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Seeing you've already purchased the mobo, you will need to update BIOS for 3rd GEN Ryzen compatibility. There is a small chance your current board may have been updated by the seller. Check the box for any indication of "Ryzen 3000-ready" or check the product listing for any confirmation.

If you require the update, the Tomahawk B450 supports a "BIOS flash button" feature which doesn't require an older GEN CPU for the update process.

You'll need to download the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK

Then follow these simple steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Make sure to check the motherboards manual to locate the dedicated BIOS FLASH USB port. Thats the one you'll be attaching the USB stick to - otherwise it won't work.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I keep seeing about having to update BIOS in order for the motherboard in order to support 3rd gen Ryzen. Would this be required for me to do

Depends on the specific motherboard.

There is 3000 series ready stickers out on some of the higher volume models already, anything with that sticker should be updated and ready to go out of box.

There are also MSI's MAX series which is ready out of box.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

There is 3000 series ready stickers out on some of the higher volume models already, anything with that sticker should be updated and ready to go out of box.

Do we know for sure that this is the case? I'm just wondering.

There was a similar situation with older board being Ryzen 2000 ready, but at the end they just meant that this board can accommodate a Ryzen 2000 processor with an BIOS update.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

There was a similar situation with older board being Ryzen 2000 ready, but at the end they just meant that this board can accommodate a Ryzen 2000 processor with an BIOS update.

On those the sticker signified that they were ready for the APU which launched well ahead of the CPU. They were not required to be compatible with CPU in order to have the sticker.

For 3000 series both APU and CPU launched with the same BIOS versions, so any 3000 series ready sticker will cover both CPU and APU.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, if you say so. Hope you are right.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Feel free to check yourself the BIOS versions that allow compatibility with the 3200G/3400G also include the CPU since both rolled out at the same time.

Back when 2200G/2400G launched the CPU and 400 series motherboard weren't around, AMD launched the sticker program to show what 300 series motherboard were compatible with the APU, so you could buy a board ready for APU but was produced before CPU ready BIOS were available.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well on that particular example (Tomahawk) bios ver. 7C02v18 or never is needed.

So you believe that all Tomahawk boards are replaced with those Ryzen 3000 ready boards on all retailers out there?

How you will get your hands on a Ryzen 3000 ready board if you just shop from Amazon for example?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7W5KJS?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

I don't see a sticker on their site for convincing people that this board is Ryzen 3000 ready.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube