add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Games you come back to

8bitbro

2 months ago

Hello all. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm a little bored at work so I thought I start a topic. So anyone and everyone, what is the one game you can always come back to no matter how old it is? For me it's Chrono Trigger from the SNES days, but I also have on steam. I am almost 40 and in my opinion there hasn't been a game I played with such an amazing story, memorable characters (Robo is my favorite), great music, multiple endings, awesome single and co-op attacks, and a big favorite, new game +. This game has caused nights on the couch due to not paying attention to wife and kids. To me, an absolute gem.

So again, what is the one game you keep close to the feels no matter how awesome or corny it is?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

Team Fortress 2 and minecraft.

Because I got bored of other games

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Never played Team fortress 2, yet I hear it's fun. And I should honestly give Minecraft a shot. A lot of people recommend it. :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Both are excellent games. I put tons of hours into TF2.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I downloaded TF2, but I have never played it. Same thing with overwatch; I purchased it right after it came out, and I forgot about it until now.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

minecraft. I stopped playing in 2018 to try out fortnite, then came back to minecraft before the big "OMG minecrafts popular again"rush.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Many of the Final Fantasy games. I can always play FFIV and I’ll play FFX if I’m not too lazy to setup the PS2. Though, that isn’t much of a problem anymore since I found out my PS3 is backwards compatible with both PS2 and PS1 games.

I quite like Chrono Trigger. Strategy-wise, Robo’s probably my favorite too (and obviously Chrono). Story-wise, Frog is my favorite of the bunch, he’s got a great story and a nice musical theme to go with.

Spoilers for Chrono Trigger: Recently, I found out that most people opt out of the climactic duel with Magus. To me, this seems like a tragedy as it was one of the best moments of the entire game. Any thoughts, man?

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Agreed. I can play FFIV, FFVI, and Tactics any time. Fav characters were Rydia, Strago, and Mustadio respectively.

Awesome me too :). And I agree. With a mixture of healing and strong techs, my favorite was with Lucca, just an all around great character. But I did like the duel tech with Frog where he puts Robo in a bubble, floats him to a baddie, then pops and drops right on them. And will agree with you with Frog having a great story. My favorite was the side quest to empower the masamune.

Really? I have not heard this one before. It's been a while so I will have to play again to see what type of ending there is. It is a great battle and I do like his skill set. Also, he uses scythes. I mean come on, how many rpg characters do you know (I do not know of any) that uses a scythe as a main weapon. Plus great magic attacks (dark bomb being my favorite), awesome triple techs when you get the special gemstones, great theme song, and awesome henchman (lookin at you Ozzie). Oh and the animation he uses when casting shadow magic, arm movements followed up what looks to be a thumbs down, ultimate bad!@#. I mean why wouldn't you get Magus? Seems bogus to me. Oh man I need to stop. I can talk about Chrono Trigger all day.

Well till next time.

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

If I'm not mistaken, the battle Zeromus is referring to is the one in which you kill Magus, thus not getting him as a character. I am with you; Magus is badass! I always thought is was awesome he could join your party. IIRC he doesn't have any dual techs though so as a party member he's kind of lame that way. But he has major cool factor for battling with a scythe and does look dope during spellcasting lol.

edit also I'm with you on being a fan of Robo, Strago and Mustadio, although honestly Mustadio is so OP that you'd be a fool not to use him. Gosh I love FF Tactics, but I hate the late game.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

That was what I was referring to.

Looking around now, I feel like I missed out big time on only having Strago on my underleveled tertiary team.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Oh yeah. You learn all his lore skills, plus every spell from the espers, equip him with the gem box and economizer(dual cast and 1mp spell cost), level up with espers that have MP and magic stats, and you have a magic slinging powerhouse that lasts for days.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

That does sound pretty good. They made some ways to get real overpowered in that game, to the point where you wish there was anything to come close to your power. I looked around the arena for a long time and never found anything.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi Gorkti, so yes you are correct. But if I remember correctly, you can choose whether to even find Magus, the cape I think, after you bring Chrono back to life. And everything else you said, completely agree. Have you by any chance gotten the gemstones for his triple tech? I believe there are 2 he can use.

And Strago is the man. White Wind and Grand Train. Two ridiculous spells for healing and attack. Lol and yes Mustadio was OP, but perfect as the chemist class, with his main skills as backup. At least that's how I used him.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I thought you found Magus at the cape whilst on the journey to resurrect Chrono.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Ugh....you are probably right. I do not remember. Now see what you did? I have to start playing the game to see at what point you get Magus. Dang you lol.

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I remember the Deep Dungeon in the late game was a real pain to get through. You have some of the strongest items in the game there. But I think you needed the item find skill equipped, have low brave, then get to a specific tile to acquire the item in the first place. The Zodiac summon, which if I remember correctly can do some major damage to the party (possible 1 shot) and you must have a summoner in the party if you want to learn the spell. Summoner must survive the hit too. And you had to stand on a certain tile to get to the next level, yet I do not remember whether the exit tile was randomly generated.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

My problem is two things:

1) after spending the majority of the game with your team that you've customized and leveled and geared how you want, overtime you acquire a host of Story Characters (Mustadio, Agrias, Orlandu) who have unique abilities and are just way too good to ignore. This is especially relevant because:

2) late in the game the difficulty ramps WAY up, and it becomes harder and harder to justify sticking to your custom team when Orlandu can obliterate people with his unique abilities.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

This. Both points. Orlandu was way ridiculous in abilities, even more so with the sword he came with, Excalibur which granted the unit permanent haste.

So I have a question. Did you ever use Beowulf? I liked using him for the random map battles. No comparison to the others you listed in utility and strength, but I thought having an super oracle based knight was useful.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

“My favorite was the side quest to empower the masamune.”

This was honestly genius story writing. You collect the and charge the legendary sword, you piece together what seems like the final team, and then you go on a campaign to fight the creator of evil in the world. It seemed like time for the final boss, and it really could have been! To think that was only half of the game still amazes me.

“great theme song”

The game really did have an unparalleled soundtrack.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I can't really choose so here are a few

Fire Emblem Awakening. I got it when I first got my 3ds and have dumped an absurd amount of hours finding all the support conversations.

Terraria was one of the first actual PC games I played and have always loved to jump on with friends and just kind of **** around

Star Wars Republic Commando. When I got it about a year ago I immediately fell in love with it

KOTOR 2. I put 50 hours into it in a single week

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I have never played a fire emblem game. Although I hear they are great. I keep seeing Terraria on steam. It has great reviews. I should actually check that out. Republic Commando. Was that the 1st person shooter and you were in command of a 3 person squad? If so I remember that game being fun and looked great. Although I did not get very far. Never played a KOTOR. RPG right? 50 hours in a week is a lot. Probably had some great progress. Last time I put in 50 hours in a week playing an rpg was probably Final Fantasy VII for the PlayStation.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

You are correct about Republic Commando. It sucks that it left on a huge cliffhanger and then the sequel got canceled. And yes, KOTOR is an rpg. The only part I don't like is when you land on the surface of Telos. That part feels like a slog.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The only part I don't like is when you land on the surface of Telos. That part feels like a slog.

Seconded, but even the Peragus part before that kind of bores me. Everything before Atris feels like a drawn out prologue. Taris in KOTOR > Peragus/Telos in KOTOR 2.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I think Peragus does a good job with setting the story up. The terminal heavy puzzles and exploration feel like a Vault from Fallout, but it definitely doesn't compare with Korriban. That and Malachor V are my favorite locations in the game because they're just dripping with atmosphere. Exploring the empty Sith academy had me on edge the whole time, and the fight with Sion at the end was easily one of my favorite moments in the game.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

WING COMMANDER series. I've been playing then since I was in 7th grade in 1992... But I mostly stuck to the last release of (WC Prophecy) and all the great fan made mods that came out over the years. A few years back, someone produced a surprisingly good standalone game using the FreesSpace 2 engine, and it was close to professional, looks beautiful in 1440p. If you're at all interested, it's available for download free at wcsaga.com.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Wing Commander. Honestly never heard of it. I had to look it up. Thanks for the input and the link. I will have to check it out. :)

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

M I N E C R A F T

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

San Andreas

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to play San Andreas. I only played the Miami style GTA, but don't remember the name.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

That would be GTA Vice City, which is also pretty good

I would strongly recommend San Andreas if you ever get a chance.

In my opinion, it's by far the best one in the whole GTA series

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Hmm okay. I will take a look. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Can't really pick just one of these.

World of Tanks.

World of Warcraft.

Morrowwind/Oblivion/Skyrim.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Never tried World of Tanks. Although I hear its excellent. Ahh World of Warcraft. A game that has withstood time. I started in Wraith, hit my peak in Cata, and had to stop. The grind had to be focused elsewhere. I have never played a elder scrolls game. do you have a preference?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Never tried World of Tanks. Although I hear its excellent.

Depends get a few too many people at lower level who are seal clubbing and the fun can get taken right out of it.

Overall though it has a bit of a steep learning curve for the basics but once past them fairly decent now that most of the toxic people have moved on to more popular titles.

Ahh World of Warcraft. A game that has withstood time. I started in Wraith, hit my peak in Cata, and had to stop.

Beta myself, it isn't bad could be better but the same could be said of all games.

I have never played a elder scrolls game. do you have a preference?

Morrowwind, although old the others never really ever caught up in depth and variety of stories to be found.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha seal clubbing. I had to look that up. Actually says to absolutely destroy the enemy with an overpowered tank (usually that has a derp gun) Lol. I never really thought WoW was a bad game, maybe just tedious. I do enjoy the story and characters/races with every expansion (except Warlords of Draenor). Use to have a huge group of friends/guildies for raids, pvp, etc. Unfortunately everyone has moved on.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Half-Life 1 & 2. I can always feel at home booting those up.

FTL is a game I return to every now and then and it's easy to just jump into. Just complicated enough, without being complex. Doesn't demand your time, you can pause whenever you want.

Minecraft is always fun to boot up also. Just start digging, exploring.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I hear a lot of great things about Half Life, but have never tried. Not sure what FTL is, sorry. I am actually going to try Minecraft real soon with my son. Trying to see if he has any interest in games.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Half-Life is going to come across somewhat dated by now, but they really moved the needle for FPS games when they dropped.

FTL is an indie hit so it's not surprising you don't know it. Big for an indie title, but still small. Here is the trailer for it from 2012. The short description is, you manage the crew, weapons, and subsystems of your spaceship as you make FTL jumps across the galaxy, being pursued by enemies. In battle you target different subsystems of enemy ships, and attempt to repair your own when they get damaged. It's a roguelike so if you die, you die, and it's time to start over. A full playthrough is pretty short, like an hour tops, but it's highly randomized so each game is different.

Minecraft is wonderful. If you enjoy exploration and building things in games, you'll enjoy it. Hope your son does too, have fun!

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I just looked up FTL. Actually got some great reviews. I'll look to see if on steam when I get home.

So my son and I enjoy building Legos all the time, so this may pique his interest.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Also Minecraft has loads of mods, and when i mean loads, i mean to many mods. Theres mods that change the graphics to photo-realism all the way to cartoony, adds in new mobs (creatures) such as dragons, fantasy creatures to normal house pets like hamsters, map generation such as improved caves or forest and many, many more. You and your son will probably never get bored of minecraft.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Lankey. Oh that sounds awesome. Thank you for the info. :)

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I just loaded up Descent 1/2/3/rebirth and Overload. So nice to play descent 6dof again, one of my all time favorites. Though I probably have more hours on either star wars battlefront 2 or command and conquer yuri's revenge, those have huge replay value. I was out of PC games for years and played WOT on xbox for quite a while, finally I could not take the abuse and dropped it. If they had a single player AI game I'd buy it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I have played the 1st Decent, and I remember that game being hard. I am going to assume that I was not good at it lol. have not tried the others. Battlefront 2. now I am thinking PS2, was that the one where you could play as the heroes, darth maul and luke for example? if so that was a fun game. Command and Conquer RA 2 and Yuri's Revenge I feel were the best C&C games of all time. Is WOT World of Tanks? I just got an xbox one x not to long ago. I will have to check it out.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You have to be good at flying around lol. Yes BF2 SW you could play the characters, many different battle maps, different planets, etc. 2 was a better version of the first one. Yes world of tanks, its fun game the early levels are cool, but later they want money and actually the late tanks it cost you to play them. It was not like that when it started. The game play is great but the server kills you if you win too much. It gets very unfair and not much fun at that point, when you get taken out in one hit and can't do any damage to other team. From start to finish I was at 50% win over almost 2 years lol it never changed. Any advantage they would get rid of in the game. I let my MS live run out. Though in the summer I get busy and don't play anything.

Overload is mostly the old team that made Descent, made a modern version more or less. Descent 4 is coming some day but different team that has the rights to the name, as I understand it, which could be good or bad. Steam has a free demo of Overload. Descent were under 5 bucks each.

Actually Descent is like flying a drone down tunnels/caves with a camera on it, and shooting at other drones. Way before its time maybe?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Hello my ninja , what a killer question for a gamer going all the way back past the days of MUDS Newest to oldest and really had to struggle to keep it under 10 Witcher 3 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Guild Wars franchise Diablo 2 LOD Half Life 2 Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 The Bards Tale - 1985 when floppy disk were really floppy Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord 1981 Dungeons and Dragons 1977 I think until current Pong 1972 but technically this one was a console ... so for PC still under 10 wink

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey what's happening. You might have to explain what MUDS is to me cause I don't even know lol. So I have never played a Witcher game, yet I hear it's very popular. Divinity 2, I am deciding whether to purchase for the Xbox One X or for the PC. Guild Wars 1, my favorite class was the assassin with monk secondary. I thought Faction was a good xpac. Diablo 2 LOD, I played the crap out of that game. Both normal and with editor/trainer. Not afraid to admit it lol. You were able to make some wicked stupid toons. Have not played Half Life 2. The only Baldurs Gate game I played was Dark Alliance, which I think was different from the other games. Ha my first 5-1/4 floppy disk game was Crystal Caves. Played that baby on a Gateway pc with a 486dx. And with the exception of Pong, have not played the others. Nice list. :)

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Mud - basically a text based RPG. we had to use our imaginations. For example I am imagining my little brother 8bit trying this new invention called duckduckgo/google/Bing and typing MUD wink You know it wouldn't surprise me at all that we met on Diablo 1. I was Arak Zantara then (96) and it pains me that you would consider Divinity on a console , is there a special reason that is worth cutting the beautiful graphics and processing to zilch? very nice list of you own there my brother and I actually smiled at the 486 . If I remember may have had a blistering 2 meg of Ram and a 300 baud modem running kermit, z modem , etc etc etc to connect to the BBS boards LOL . we should talk more

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh okay. If I am interpreting your explanation of Mud correctly, I recall doing something like that when...…...pokemon first came out lol. Remembering I had to be the judge of which attack hit, missed, which pokemon got knocked out etc.

Diablo 1. It pains me to say this, but my experience with that game was on the original PlayStation. playing that game with the controller was horrible. thumb would hurt from pressing on those stupid one button directional arrows lol.

The only reason I would consider it on console now is cause my office is an icebox during the winter. Playing games while cold is no fun. And I can't bring the pc into the living room cause the kids would be all over it. Although I did see Divinity 2 on steam sale, I may have to reconsider and suck it up :).

Yeah man 486. And it was a pc from gateway. Delivered in that goofy cow box. Yup 2 megs of ram and 1 cd-rom drive. I think my 1st cd-rom game was Rise of the Robots. Horrible fighting game lol. As far as modem is concerned I do not remember which it was, but I do remember having netscape navigator and hearing that awful connection noise :) And yes I'm sure we will. Take care.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

TF2

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Half-Life 2 is an instant classic

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube