add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Any way to check RAM compatibility before buying?

mhweb
  • 5 months ago

I'm planning to upgrade the RAM on my AMD Threadripper 2950X system using the ASRock x399 motherboard. I want to upgrade my 32GB memory kit to a 128GB memory kit, the problems is finding the correct part.

In the past, I was able to call Newegg technical support, and the recommended a kit that wasn't in the QVL for the ASRock motherboard, and the memory kit work great. However, Newegg no longer has its technical support division, or at least that's what I was told when I called, and it's now harder to find the right kit, because the motherboard vendor has a limited QVL list and online tools to find the correct memory kit are also limited.

While in PCPartPicker, the system builder tool suggest some 128GB kit that apparently are compatible, but the they are not in the QVL list of the ASRock website. Can the the PCPartPicker compatibility tool be trusted?

Is there any way to check the compatibility of the a memory kit before spending over $700?

Thanks,

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Some ddr manufacturers have their own qvl. Example: ram i picked up for my board was on the g.skill qvl and the msi qvl. Another option Good luck

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Can the the PCPartPicker compatibility tool be trusted?

There is no PCPP RAM compatibility tool.

All DDR4 dual or quad kids are listed as compatible because they are based on DDR4 specs.

Your only option is to consult the QVL list of that board to find compatible Ram modules that may be exactly the same or with similar specs.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank for taking the time and answering the questions.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad to help. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube