add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I overclock any higher?

GFTG2000

1 month ago

So I have my CPU (2200G) overclocked to 3.9GHz, at 1.35 volts. I did a stress test for an hour with AIDA64, and it ran with no problem, picking temperature at 56ºC. I don't rly care about overclocking the iGPU since I'll be getting a dedicated GPU in the near future. I tried 4.0GHz without changing voltage and that didn't work, as expected. How high can I get the voltage to, to hit 4.0GHz or higher? And are there any other things i can do, that will help, that won't break my computer?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1.45 volts is the max recommended for the processor. It would also depend on the motherboard if that is actually safe for it.

I don't know why you think 4.0 is a magic number their almost no difference in 3.9 and 4.0

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yep, you're right. I'll probably just leave it at 3.9GHz. Now, on another topic, what's the best GPU you'd pair with the 2200G (also considering I plan on getting a 2600 or 3600 down the line).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I pair video cards with the monitor resolution and refresh rate it has really nothing to do with the CPU. So would need that information.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1080p 144hz. Apex Legends is the most demanding game I want to play at above 120fps with lowest settings.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Try at 1.4 Volts and if it does work lower the voltage by 0.05 afterwards.

The lower the better. So, if 1.4V works, try 1.395V, 1.39V...etc. If it doesn't work at 1.4V just leave it at 3.9GHz.

And as Zerk2012 stated: their almost no difference between 3.9GHz and 4.0GHz.

Also if you use the stock cooler, a better cooler may do the trick.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I think you meant 0.05 because lowering 1.4 by 0.5 would put it at 0.9.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

lol, yeah correct. :-P

Many thanks for noticing it!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

How high can I get the voltage to, to hit 4.0GHz or higher?

You can't safely.

Voltage limits for first generation parts are.

1.35v everyday safe.

1.4v up to two weeks once in the life of the chip.

1.45v burning silicon away.

Even the "Safe" is debatable as there have been cases of degradation of both cores and the memory controller around 12-18 months of those voltages.

Most look at what the chips use for stock and forget that Ryzen adjusts voltage to the cores every 1-20ms, those are not sustained voltage like overclocking uses.

And are there any other things i can do, that will help, that won't break my computer?

Tweak your memory timings, overclocking wise Ryzen has always been poor, but the first two generations really benefit from memory tweaking.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Safe? My 2400G all stock everything with a huge air cooler hits over 1.5v on boost at 3.9ghz and around 80C temps running a benchmark. All stock settings everywhere.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That 1.5v is not steady though.

Ryzen adjusts its voltage faster then any current monitoring software can query the CPU for current parameters so all you see are the voltage highs and not what it is actually using for a given frequency.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Possible, but it stays there the whole bench test. Not all cores stay high.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Benchmarks is not a true load on the CPU it puts everything to the max.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well I hope the bench is worst case, I just need to know what it is at under full load so that is never exceeded in a game...which is likely the largest load it will see.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I run a 2400G with a big air cooler. Its at 4.0 (stock boost is 3.9) and negative offset so it goes to 1.38v max. It will hit 1.5v+ on boost and all stock settings and can hit 80C in a bench. At 1.38 it never goes that high. But I'm using the iGPU so I want the cpu cool as possible and OC the igpu more.

When you get a gpu then it should run cooler I'd guess, and then you can boost it up more as you only stress the CPU half of it.

If your bios does it you can try offset a negative voltage think mine is -.05v area then only set a multiplier speed. Then it will only use max voltage under load and still p state the voltage. That way it runs cooler and only hot under load. Work your speed and voltage up and watch temps on hwmonitor. I'd guess around 1.4v would be most you can get without very high temps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube