add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How long will i5-6500 survive?

beastykato

1 month ago

I've been asked to build a machine for a child to play games at a reasonable price.

I found a good deal on an i5-6500, b250 Mobo, and 8gb ram for $120.

Fine deal and I'm pairing it with a Vega 56, which should yield some pretty good gaming. The monitor he has is 1080p 75hz, so I'm not overly concerned with super high frame rates.

My concern is the parent also asked me to make it so it will last him quite a while and I'm concerned about its longevity with games like battlefield causing problems (I've not experienced this myself as I don't play it) and next gen consoles having 8 core cpus.

Will these 4 core cpus truly struggle that bad over the next 3-5 years? And are the performance issues in games like battlefield really that significant or are those games outliers?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

that is hardly a deal. a 6500 is pretty old at this point. I would absolutely not advise pairing it with a vega 56. at best, pair it with an RX 580. the 6500 will be an issue in a lot of modern titles. esports games will be its best bet. battlefield I can say without a doubt will cause a crapton of problems as it is a CPU heavy game (BF1 and V especially so). yes, they will struggle quite a lot at any resolution in many games these days. Battlefield 1 and V would almost certainly exihibit stuttering issues. if the person in question played lighter games and at around 60hz, it may be less of an issue. I would advise at least a Ryzen 5 2600 for your use case.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I looked up a ryzen 5. I didn't search long but it was $120 for the processor alone before motherboard and ram.

Did a quick YouTube check: https://youtu.be/Ud-aocLYLNI And it only outscored the i5 by maybe 10fps in most of the titles.

It does have the extra threads tho. Seems hard to justify in today's money tho for such little performance increase in gaming.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If a stated goal is longevity, the extra $100 towards the build to do a 6C/12T CPU could easily double the useful life of the build before major overhaul is required.

I expect the 6500 will begin to show it's age across a wide range of games within 2-3 years. Lots of people with i5-4460/4570/6500/6600 are already replacing these machines with newer, high core count rigs to solve gaming performance issues.

Sure, it may look "way more expensive" but when you consider what it buys, (not having to do this again in 2 years, instead being in a good position for a 4-5+ year run), it's actually much better value.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. That is the main concern just because I don't want to build this for him and then in a year have them say, "Well, this new game doesn't run smooth anymore.". Power wise the i5 really doesn't seem very far behind the Ryzen at all if I'm looking at what's available to play today.

I thought maybe the stuttering issues were simply boiling down to maybe coding or driver problems? Because the only two games I typically see mentioned are Battlefield and Assassins Creed.

If the thread count is really becoming an issue across all games though I'll definitely go that route instead of picking up the i5.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Power wise the i5 really doesn't seem very far behind the Ryzen

A 2600 has near double the available execution throughput.

As workloads scale out, there will be a difference in longevity.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes, do go with the R5-2600. That CPU will easily last 5 years with gaming and productivity. Marry it to either the MSI B450 'Tomahawk' or AsRock B450 'Steel Legend'; both mobos come in ATX and mATX form factors. Pair the assembly with either AMD RX 580 8GB or Nvidia GTX 1660 Super.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

im not sure what you looked at, but the 2600 should be significantly better than 10FPS more in a lot of games if combined with a good GPU. if a benchmark is using a lower tier GPU like a 1060 or something, 10FPS difference would make sense. The biggest issue is that many games max out 4 cores these days which often leads to stuttering.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

im not sure what you looked at, but the 2600 should be significantly better than 10FPS more in a lot of games if combined with a good GPU.

Even when using something like a 2080ti cores don't matter that much in gaming even when looking at titles such as BFV and AC:O

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/15.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-8300/13.html

The biggest issue is that many games max out 4 cores these days which often leads to stuttering.

That shows in the same titles on things like the 2600 because of the low per core performance as well.

It's a catch 22 the titles that need cores and threads don't actually perform when run with those cores and threads.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

What kinds of titles are they looking for the PC to run?

My concern is the parent also asked me to make it so it will last him quite a while and I'm concerned about its longevity with games like battlefield causing problems (I've not experienced this myself as I don't play it) and next gen consoles having 8 core cpus.

Current generation consoles have and always had 8-core CPU.

Will these 4 core cpus truly struggle that bad over the next 3-5 years?

Depends on the titles and how they are optimized.

Your more mainstream focused titles won't be heavy multi-threaded simply to focus on the widest possible audience.

Big budget AAA titles partnered with companies who want to sell higher core counts will continue to push multi-threading.

And are the performance issues in games like battlefield really that significant or are those games outliers?

Outlier. The title stutters on a 2700X/3600/9600K when heavy multi-player action happens in close proximity.

If your using titles like Battlefield V as a metric for a kids PC then even high end CPU from last generation, and mid range models from this generation are unsuitable for the heaviest action in that game.

If you look at the more popular titles from the last few years like PUBG/Fortnite that old I5 still has tons of life left in it.

Your not going to find a magic bullet answer with a single best option for cheap since there isn't one.

You could spend 2-3 times as much as that I5 combo costs and still have the same downsides longevity wise, or that I5 will last for years to come.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

That is a good deal. Bump up the Ram and you will be set.

There are approximately 30,000 games on Steam alone. Add in GOG, Origin, and titles not attached to these platfom....

This i5 released in 2015 and at 4 years old now it is in it's dotage. It is limited but workable for all but a dozen or so titles. This number of course will grow in future. Looking at Red Dead Redemption 2 as an indicator though I am slightly less worried about this i5's future, at least for the next two years or so.

One thing for sure, at least 99% of titles out there will be playable with this CPU, I would even say 99.9% would not be too much of a stretch. 99.99% might even run full 60fps or more with minimal stutter. So basically we are talking about a handful of games, perhaps a dozen or so that will play poorly with this CPU. Before purchasing a particular title, research benchmarks online, if this CPU or anything similar does not perform to a reasonable standard, just do not purchase the game or get it on console instead.

I never understand why a build prerequisite is "Play all games in existence, past present future at .insert expectation.". It is unreasonable and impossible. Even the highly overated i9-9900K does not run all games at 60fps. Of course not. It stutters it's way through a small number of titles as well.

Despite consoles being taboo around here, in my opinion, you have to factor that this aspect is not going away, particularly considering the success Sony has had. With purported performance of the Playstation 5 rivalling today's $5000 PC, along with all the boons such as street cred or coolness factor at schools and we have a situation where in all probability this console will be in that Kid's hands sooner or later. No caveats either, Playstation 5 will get better exclusive titles along with everything else the PC does (with possible exception of Halo but with Microsoft releasing their exclusives to the Switch, who knows....). Chances are 9 in 10 if this kid is a gamer he/she will get a PS5 as well. No two ways about it, kids being kids, one toy replacing another.... do not overreach your budget on something that is objectively not achievable - the i5-6500 with a Vega 56 is plenty good enough. Better in fact than most people's PCs..... And when he/she does get their PS5, the PC will do a fine job with homework and a good chunk of tommorrow's games, whatever shows up in a Steam sale.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys. I did decide to go just go with the deal on the i5.

I echo the opinions shared about the i5 being more than adequate for the majority of all the games out and in the near future.

The games he plays are all over the place from brand new AAA titles to a lot of the e-sports titles with friends from school.

In any case, I watched a ton of youtube reviews and tests and the 10-20% bump in FPS I saw in i5's paired with GTX1070/Vega56 level gpu's just doesn't justify the extra cost of the system.

In addition, if he does for some reason need more threads in a few years, I'm sure the price of used i7's will only continue to plummet in price as this AMD/Intel CPU war continues. So, I can probably just snag one of those really cheap as an upgrade to the system later on.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yup there is always that. A used 6700 or 7700 could always replace the old i5. With PC gaming it always pays to research benchmarks and performance. Most of the big AAA titles by the bigger publishers will be developed to run on both modest and advanced hardware. GTA V has been well within the realm of very modest PC gaming equipment since the turn of the decade. Red Dead Redemption will release with very reasonable and attainable performance goals.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Or so we thought....

A 9900k/2080 Ti can't even get 60fps on 4k ultra.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Yup and thats the graphics holding back because the game hits over 100fps at 1080p. With 1% lows, the i9-9900K with RTX 2080TI yields a stuttering wretched mess of a game. On Xbox One X plays great. Our PC equipment is going to get absolutely clobbered by the Playstation 5.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

In addition, if he does for some reason need more threads in a few years, I'm sure the price of used i7's will only continue to plummet in price as this AMD/Intel CPU war continues.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

When Intel launches new gen products that cut-off availability of old-gen products. The demand for i7's to upgrade old platforms is actually very high as a result of workloads demanding more threads, causing old i7's to sell for way more than they are worth relative to new CPU alternatives.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Just checked the benchmarks for a i5-7600K CPU which is nearest to this i5-6500 I could find. Well, for Red Dead Redemption 2 the results are a disaster. While the CPU is capable of pushing over 60fps the real "CPU indicator" is not average frame rates but 1% lows. The 1% low for the 7600K is well under 30fps (under 20fps even) - basically the game will be near unplayable. With the 6500 it will certainly run worse than the 7600K. A Sandy Bridge 2011 i7-2600K outperforms the i5-7600K in this game. Hyperthreading advantages. If hyperthreading is going to be a feature with future gaming the i5-6500 is at a tremendous disadvantage.

If you have not bought that i5-6500 yet do not. While it is foolish to draw conclusions from one game, particularly if optimization may be an issue, this is one of those cross generation titles like GTA V was. This gives us a peek into the future. The i5-6500 does not seem to belong to that future. In context, I gave poor advise.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

I did get the i5 system and an i7. I'm not worried about the performance of the i5-6500 though, I think it's being really blown out of proportion. People are playing this game on the original Xbox One lol. I understand that the optimizations are different and I'm not sure what was involved with porting that game over, but the Xbox is much less powerful than even the old i5.

In any case, I found multiple old Dell systems on ebay that had i7's in them. They were buy it now for $175-200. Meanwhile the processors themselves were all on ebay for well over 200+ if you bought them separately. People can price their i7's at those exorbitant prices all day, but only a fool would buy them at those asking prices. I also think Ryzen will alter the used landscape, prior used i7 pricing didn't have to compete with cheap multi-core processors that outperformed them on a new platform. Why pay those prices when you can often get new Ryzen parts for the same price as an old i7?

So, I popped the i7 into the gaming computer. I threw the i5 into the Dell with a SFF RX550 4GB and am selling that as a nice little esports gaming PC for someone.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

my i5-6500 with b250 mobo and 16gb of ram lasted about 5 years than died as it wouldnt go over 0.62ghz for some reason I even tryied changing a mobo but the cpu was still not working

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube