add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How Long Will AMD's A4 Socket Support the Newest CPU's?

vansloot99

1 month ago

Hello. I don't think I worded the Headline very well. Let me explain.

I've read articles mentioning that AMD doesn't change sockets as often as Intel does and this makes it better for upgrading. I've read the happy news that: "AMD's A4 socket will be supported until 2020!"

And it's cool that it was usable for a long time but...... it's almost 2020 so that's not a great advantage at this late date.

I am trying to decide whether to go AMD (probably Ryzen 9 3900) or Intel (probably i9 9900k) for a new video editing build. I very much like that AMD's sockets are effective for longer than Intel's and that might tip me toward them, except their current socket (A4) won't last any longer than Intel's 1151 socket, will it?

Is that simply not a factor in deciding between AMD and Intel in November of 2019? I understand there are many other differences between the chips, I am only interested in knowing whether the "long-term socket" advantage of AMD is negated at the end of A4's life.

Thank you.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is that simply not a factor in deciding between AMD and Intel in November of 2019?

This. AMD might come out with a Ryzen 3000 minor refresh along the lines of Zen 1 to Zen+. Intel 10th gen will almost certainly need a new chipset and I think it's in a new socket as well. I would choose based on cores and performance and not worry about future in-place upgrades. Whichever you choose will likely last long enough that you would be into a next-gen motherboard and probably next-gen RAM when you need to upgrade.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

There might be one more generation on AM4.

Unless your not building a suitable system for your needs at the start on either platform the build will last longer then the upgrade path.

You would be upgrading a dead platform with a dead end CPU when newer and better is available from both companies.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is that simply not a factor in deciding between AMD and Intel in November of 2019?

Right now it is not a factor. Any thing you buy now (looking at the high end CPUs) is not going to have a meaningful upgrade in the current sockets.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks you guys. That makes sense.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Now is a tricky time to build new when it faces the recycle bin of history. DDR5 next year, next gen CPU's and GPU's next year. Choice is wait or buy now and make do. I personally think technology is always evolving and nothing lasts forever. Build now and upgrade when you feel performance is letting you down. There are still plenty of PC's out there with Haswell chips, DDR3 Ram, and Maxwell GPU's. If it aint broke....

I am trying to decide whether to go AMD (probably Ryzen 9 3900) or Intel (probably i9 9900k) for a new video editing build

If you build now either will do the job although I err AMD since Ryzen 9 3900X > i9-9900K for just about everything, including gaming.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The 3900x has more cores but I believe Intel's QuickSync offers some benefits.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube