add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

is 350$ a fair price for a very gently used i7-5930k

Bumblescrum

1 month ago

Asking because I am trying to sell and haven't found any truly reliable source of info. There is such a variation in what retailers are selling refurbs and new ones for its hard to set a target price. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

To all,

Thanks for the advice. I updated my pricing on my facebook add to 150$, hopefully someone in the area bites. I'm not in a particularly huge rush to sell it, it's not like it takes up a lot of space.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I usually check out eBay or Amazon, see what people are actually for paying for things - note that what people are "paying" (or bidding) is not the same as what sellers are "asking" or what is perceived to be the "going rate". Generally, it's a buyers market and buyers will be looking for significant savings on used products. I'm guessing you're in the US? You don't say, so I'll assume.

Looking on Amazon.com, they are offering that CPU as a "renewed" product, under warranty, for $299. On eBay.com, used, they are going for between $130 and $200. Brand new, boxed, you can pick one up for $320.

I think you'd be better looking to sell at around the $150 to $200 mark, if you really want to sell yours.

Just MHO.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's a ridiculously high price, IMO, but the used older parts market is simply nuts. I guess it depends on how quickly you want to sell; if you don't want it to take weeks, I'd agree with the $150+ price point.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Agreed with other comments. Older 6 core, lower performance than other 6 cores, worth no more than $150. That other's charge more, good luck to them, will sit for months.

Forget about initial retail price. This is not a collectors market, CPU's bought are for refurbs only, keeping alive the old. No telling how much a particular person will pay but they will buy cheaper over more expensive unless the cheap is with a zero feedback eBay account.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You can buy a brand new 8700K that has better performance for that price.

Used processors are cheap they are harder to sell because the boards go out way before the processor dies.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone for the info, I'm gonna go and update my pricing.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If it makes sense, there are superior performing consumer-level options which drop the 5930K's value at a considerable rate.

• a "similar performing & new" Ryzen 2600 is going for $120 (USD).

• A 20% faster performing 3600 is achievable for around $200

• A 25% faster single threaded and more than 60% faster multi-threaded Ryzen 3700X is achievable for $329

In other words, $350 for the i7-5930k is bad value. For used, $80-$100 is realistic if we're just comparing performance per CPU. Entailed buyer requirements / pressed market value sees some favourable mark-ups for around $130-$150. Anything higher at this point is a jammy win for the seller and a not-so-informed grab by the buyer.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No, I got one for £100 off CeX. It runs @ 4.40 GHz with 1.25V (doesn't like 4.5 under "safe voltage), with cache @ 4.00, 1.17V.

You should be looking at no more than US$150 considering your chip is slightly better quality than mine. Finding an X99 motherboard for it is another tough one and likely not too cheap.. I had to pay £266 for an "Open Box" Asus Strix X99.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ton of people have them up but they are not selling for anything great generally under $100 before someone will buy them.

Only decently selling X99 CPU is the 6950X (R7 are going for cheap used killing the value on the 5960X/6900K) and even then your only looking at $300-$350 to upgraders.

The real dampener on the older and lower core count X99 CPU is you can pick up used 2600 for $80-$90 or 1600 for even cheaper, and both of those can be tossed on $50-$75 used boards well decent X99 are still really high used.

Granted the used Ryzen market is very hit and miss from unknowledgeable overclockers trying to get rid of dying chips (Have come across three so far personally), but the price is low enough to make that risk acceptable to many.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

absolutely not. unfortunately it's from an era where 8 cores was niche and a halo product. it's a 6 core that loses in every single benchmark to a $200 cpu that consumes less than half the power. you might as well hang onto it in my opinion. the resale for it is abysmal and not worth it unless you're in a serious pinch for some fast bill money.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Haven't seen you in forever.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube