add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why is the system SSD always performing bad in benchmarks?

erlendkrool

1 month ago

PROBLEM SOLVED https://imgur.com/a/8Bhcjx8 Seems like the full disk encryption is the main reason for the performance impact on the system SSD disk. Also, the cloning of the Windows installation using Samsung's Data Migration Tool created some corrupted files within Windows, I fixed those using CMD --> SFC /SCANNOW

ORIGINAL TEXT:

Benchmark link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21458097 Images: https://imgur.com/a/W99nnho

I am using Samsung 860 EVO 1TB as my System disk (Windows 10), and Samsung 860 QVO 1TB as my second storage disk. In the past, I had installed Windows on the QVO disk and I did a benchmark getting really good scores on the EVO disk at that time, but when I reinstalled windows onto the EVO disk these benchmark scores just swapped places lol. I used Samsung Data Migration (cloned the disk) to move the Windows installation to my new EVO disk from the older QVO disk. Also, I might mention that I use full disk encryption on the system disk (AES-256).

Samsung Magician says my disks are Good and Healthy :) But I am still bothered by the bad performance on the system disk. I have optimized both disks using TRIM and I have about 100GB unallocated storage on both disks for better performance and life span.

So is there anything more I can do to make the system disk perform as expected in the benchmarks? Should I re-format the EVO disk and re-install Windows (because I used cloning earlier), or can it be the full disk encryption slowing things down (it shouldn't though)?

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Should I re-format the EVO disk and re-install Windows (because I used cloning earlier)

Cloning the main boot drive on a different drive always comes with issues since nothing is ever where it was on the older drive requiring extra searches for the same info which costs performance.

If the drives are the exact same model its a debatable time saver.

or can it be the full disk encryption slowing things down (it shouldn't though)?

Adding a decrypt cycle to every read, and a encrypt to every write is going to have a performance impact.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to check the cables and the SATA port before I eventually re-format the system drive, but many people has used Samsung's Migration tool without performance issues. Regarding the encryption, this is not a normal encrypt/decrypt method where things need to read/write after every use, this is a full disk encryption which uses low level encryption layer which authenticates on the boot loader, therefore there should be less to none performance impact. Anyways, thanks for your reply :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'm going to check the cables and the SATA port before I eventually re-format the system drive, but many people has used Samsung's Migration tool without performance issues.

On the same drives no there wouldn't be a difference.

But your going from a QLC low end drive to a TLC, the data has to be reshuffled to fit per cell so extra cycles are needed to retrieve data.

Regarding the encryption, this is not a normal encrypt/decrypt method where things need to read/write after every use, this is a full disk encryption which uses low level encryption layer which authenticates on the boot loader, therefore there should be less to none performance impact.

That's why its only a single cycle per write/read instead of several cycles.

Benchmarks can show the difference even if the real world impact is minimal.

Combine the two and you have low benchmark performance.

Userbenchmark tends to be useless for most everything because of how poorly their benchmarks showcase real world performance, and they are easily sabotaged by minor differences in system configuration and setup.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ah, so it may be that everything is working as it should then? :)

Btw, I double checked the cables and the sata ports, everything seems fine there. ACHI is also active.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ah, so it may be that everything is working as it should then? :)

Pretty much. It shows why Userbenchmark isn't a good baseline to compare performance off of, you can put two systems side by side that have within margin of error equal performance, and that site will show massive differences.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I see. Regarding the cloning of W10, I just TRIMMED the system disk + CMD sfc /scannow - Windows found some corrupt files lol, maybe that's why my PC have been getting strange errors lately within games etc.

Thanks for your help mate, enjoy your day =)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Two problems I see. 1) encryption and decryption is going to have a toll on drive performance because there is a delay of access to the information. 2) 90% of the drives are full, making them slower because the drive has to find open sectors, and that takes more time the fuller the drive is.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree with you on the 1), but not the 2) aha :P The drives are nowhere near full, the system disk has almost 400 GB free storage, the second one has almost 900 GB of free storage.

Pasted from the benchmark: 380GB free (System drive) 824GB free (Second drive)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I misunderstood what you said about the 100GB unallocated storage, my bad. I thought you said available storage for some reason. The cause of your drives' clowness is solely due to the encryption and decryption then.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No prob ;) Yes, I think the cause is the encryption alone, because when I tested the previous system disk (also encrypted) I almost got the same results. Thanks for your reply, I guess the topic is "solved".

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I wanna say thanks so much for the replies here earlier, it seems the only cause was the full disk encryption, here is the proof: https://imgur.com/a/8Bhcjx8

:)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube