add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What speeds should I set my fans at? Not sure what temperature is good for a CPU.

FanaticalMunky

2 months ago

So I got myself some new fans (Silent Wings 3 PWM) and I'm not really sure as to what speed/temperature combo I should set them at in the bios. I use my pc for gaming. The main reason I ask is because I was playing cs:go and my fans were at full speed even though cs isnt really a demanding game.

My specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.80GHz, Motherboard: B360 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B22), Ram: 16GB DDR4, Power Supply: PURE POWER 10 600W CM, Storage: WD10EZEX Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Kingston SA400S37 240 GB, Rocket NVMe 2280.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Double check that the fans are set to PWM not voltage. PWM fans under voltage control run at full speed.

MSI doesn't always have their auto-detect properly configured when you swap fan styles.

Second check your temperatures as something may actually be running hot enough to need the fans at full.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It is better to control PWM fans with PWM control over voltage control. However PWM fans will run slower on a lower voltage too, that is how the low noise adapters work that comes with noctua coolers for their PWM fans. Though there is zero reason for them as you can limit speeds by PWM anyhow.

I am curious at how OP is using the new fans. Are they being used as case fans or on a CPU cooler directly? A simple method is to control the speed of case fans is to match it to the CPU temps. As the GPU heats up the case the CPU will naturally get hotter anyways thus increasing fan speed. Increased case fan speed means lower GPU and CPU temps.

There is no one absolute correct way to do it. Could run them at 100% all the time, could do 50% then ramp up if CPU temps hits 70c+, match it to CPU fan speeds, etc. Slower the fans are the more silent they are, the faster they are the more air they move so it is all just finding your comfort level with noise to performance of the fans.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

However PWM fans will run slower on a lower voltage too

MSI has had an issue with the locked Intel boards for awhile where they were not correctly detecting/adjusting fan speed when swapped and reverted to 100%.

I stopped using them for that reason even if they have a debatable advantage on some boards with power delivery.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube