add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

X264 vs New Nvenc

TheSingingCarrots

1 month ago

My goal is streaming at 1440p 60fps

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Unless your only streaming to YouTube your limited to 1080p@60fps.

Otherwise your looking at the same bonuses and downsides as 1080p@60fps.

CPU has more options for compression and quality at a major performance hit.

GPU is limited in quality and compression settings at minimal performance hit.

Upload bandwidth requirements also basically double versus 1080p so throttling from your ISP, local internet load, and streaming service are more of an issue.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

I've had a chance to try both X264 and Nvenc, and it depends on your CPU / GPU combo on which will be better. My PC is an i5 2500s and a GTX 670. Since the i5 2500s is pretty weak, I went with Nvenc and was able to stream / record with no performance hit.

What CPU / GPU do you have / going to buy? If your list that you have saved is what you have, then I'd recommend going for Nvenc for encoding, at around 5000 - 8000 bitrate, depending on your internet speed (at MINIMUM about 10 mbps upload for 1080p30 streaming, maybe 1080p60 if you keep the bitrate low. For 1440p60, then you should have roughly I'd say somewhere in the 20mbps and higher)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'll be using a 3600x@4.3Ghz and an rtx 2060 gaming oc

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hm, they may be pretty even when it comes to streaming / recording.

Play around with either option when you build the PC. x264 (which is CPU encoding) or Nvenc (which is GPU encoding), and see which has the least performance hit while still looking good on stream

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube