add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dilemma, building a R7 v. 3600x v. 3600; cost benefits

dk10438

1 month ago

Hi, I'm building a gaming computer for my 12 year old son and plan on using either a 2070 or 2070 Su and trying to decide on the final build. Here's my dilemma, a 3600 is probably enough for what he wants to play but he wants the aesthetics so he wants a liquid cooler or nice RGB air cooler. So if I wanted to go 3600 or 3600x, I'd have to drop another 40-70 bucks for a different cooling system. I don't plan on overclocking so doubt that better cooling is even necessary so just assume that this is purely an aesthetic upgrade. Opinions on whether I should pay a little more for an R7 which comes with a Prism or stick with a 3600 and get an AIO or RGB air cooler??

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A Ryzen 5 3600 plus an RGB air cooler: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yJJjcq would be a pretty good combo, unless if your son really needs the extra cores and threads that a Ryzen 7 3700x offers.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Opinions on whether I should pay a little more for an R7 which comes with a Prism

Or pay roughly the same or less for a CPU with the RGB cooler.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/bddxFT,WPQG3C/

Your not looking at a whole lot of difference in performance.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/15.html

As well as AMD is running a promo for R7 models giving you the choice of Outer Worlds or Borderlands 3.

Or if you want to go with aftermarket cooling.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/jLF48d,T47v6h/

Unfortunately no free game titles with these.

But they allow more money to be spent elsewhere.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the responses! I was planning on a 1000-1200 dollar build but I'm already over budget, lol. So now I'm trying to decide on what I need v. what I want....

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you want the RGB a 2070/3600 isn't really possible.

Now that doesn't mean the end of everything as you can drop to a 2600/2060 Super/5700XT and have everything you want.

5700XT.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $117.68 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master MA410P TUF Gaming Edition 66.7 CFM CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $94.95 @ Amazon
Memory GeIL Evo X II RGB SYNC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $61.99 @ Newegg
Storage Team L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $82.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $403.98 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool MATREXX 50 ATX Mid Tower Case $45.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $119.04 @ HP
Custom upHere 6-Pack 120mm Silent PWM Intelligent Control Addressable RGB Fan Motherboard Sync, Adjustable Colorful Fans Controller T7SYC7-6 $45.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1067.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 10:43 EST-0500

2060Super.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $117.68 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master MA410P TUF Gaming Edition 66.7 CFM CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $94.95 @ Amazon
Memory GeIL Evo X II RGB SYNC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $61.99 @ Newegg
Storage Team L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $82.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card $399.99 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool MATREXX 50 ATX Mid Tower Case $45.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $119.04 @ HP
Custom upHere 6-Pack 120mm Silent PWM Intelligent Control Addressable RGB Fan Motherboard Sync, Adjustable Colorful Fans Controller T7SYC7-6 $45.99 @ Amazon
Total $1063.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 10:40 EST-0500

Giving you everything you want for only a slight performance loss on the CPU/GPU.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

very tempted to get a 5700 XT card, however, all these "issues" with the drivers and/or hardware issue has me a little concerned. I'm not sure how common they are since people who have problems tend to be more vocal than people who have smooth installs. That being said, the cards that I would want would be a red devil or sapphire and they're in the mid 400's so it's only 50 bucks cheaper than an 2070su card which has a higher probability of not needing an RMA. I'll gladly pay an extra 50 bucks if it means less hassle... Any idea as to how prevalent the 5700 XT card issues are? 10 percent or less???

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Any idea as to how prevalent the 5700 XT card issues are? 10 percent or less???

To be fair some of the driver issues extend to the entire Radeon line not just Navi and were not being addressed by AMD, now there are people who would have traditionally gone for NVidia flipping sides and not willing to take the downsides because of price for performance.

Retail hardware wise it's not looking good from the retailers I have spoken to and seems to vary from 1 in 20 to 1 in 5 depending on where and what models getting returned for faulty products.

Now granted the most common reason to return a card is faulty whether it actually is or not.

And those are all salespeople trained to move people up the product stack which is easy in this case.

Honestly I expect the numbers to actually be lower but at the same time we're months into a product launch and the complaints are only increasing in frequency.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

yeah, I went to BB and the salesperson told me 1 in 4 were having problems. Since it's my first build, I'm trying to mitigate potential problems to try to make the build easier. Gonna have to just suck it up and drop the extra $100 to get an Nvidia card I guess...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Or give up some performance with a 2060 Super. The 2070 is supposed to be making a comeback now so maybe they will tweak that with some faster memory like they did the 1660 Super and bring it up to equivalency at the same price.

The entire market bracket is in a sad state right now, and very troubling to think that these kinds of issues should have been caught by quality control since all the reviewers were sampled working cards but retail issues are surprisingly high.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would just buy an air cooler with the R3600 (you don't have in mind to OC anyway) and just buy a Case or ram that offers RGB lighting.

Buying a decent AIO for future CPU upgrades may be a solution, but as it stands right now you could spend that extra money on a better (faster) CPU or a larger SSD drive, a rock solid PSU or just spend the extra money and buy some nice games for your 12 years old kiddo. ¯\(ツ)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Case Fan Deepcool RF120M(5 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans $39.99 @ Amazon
Total $39.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 11:27 EST-0500

I am thinking of getting this 5 pack (make sure it works with whatever rgb you are running). Then if all my fans are 120mm I can replace the cooler fan (you could buy a gammixx 400 instead) and the case fans, all RGB running on my Aura from the motherboard. Again, assuming all would fit/etc., I would have 4 rgb fans in there it should light up something. I came up with this option because if you start looking at RGB things you can run the price up quickly. They are PWM, so you need a board or controller to run pwm. My board has a lot of fan plugs and can run them all. I've not found any bad reviews on them. Just an idea, could be done with other fans as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The $1200 price target isn't a hard ceiling. The extra $200 dollars isn't a big deal to me so I'm ok going over budget. I'm a believer in getting what I want so I don't have buyers remorse in the future. I've had comments about switching out the Mobo for a B450 Tomahawk and the SSD to a Sabrent Rocket but I'm inclined to stick with the Tuf and p660 or crucial P1. I want a board that does wifi and don't want to deal with Bios updates which is why I chose the Tuf. Don't need the faster speed of the Sabrent so I'm going to stick with Intel or crucial. If he needs more storage, he can't get another hard drive in the future.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dk10438/saved/prWhgs

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The Tomahawk is also in a "MAX" version, that has the updated BIOS as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube