add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best CPU for a $2k System budget?

Spov

1 month ago

I think the 9900k is the best at this budget?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Best at doing what?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I think the 9900k is the best at this budget?

For gaming, debatable, maybe....

For everything else, not necessarily either.....

Give us applications and what budget you plan on GPU, refresh rate of monitor etc... For gaming generally the GPU is what you want to spend the most on....

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For gaming, debatable, maybe....

For everything else, not necessarily either.....

lol, you make it sound like the i9-9900K is not worth considering for anything related to computers.

Honestly as gaming concerns, the i9-9900K is the fastest CPU around and offers a very good performance for other kind of applications as well.

This without taking to account the price to performance ratio. Because that's a completely different story. ;)

And with that being said, you can make two builds with either an i9-9900K or a Ryzen processor for the same amount of money, but if you look closely to what each build has to offer especially as the CPU specs concerns, you may realize that the i9-9900K may not offer the best bang for the buck.

AMD build

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $499.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $63.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $713.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 08:44 EST-0500

Intel build

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $471.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $48.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $149.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $63.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $734.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 08:45 EST-0500

You get an hyper threaded 8 core processor vs an 12 core hyper threaded processor for almost the same amount of money. In fact the AMD build comes a bit cheaper.

So money wise the better bang for the buck would be an AMD build. But the i9-9900K will still be faster as gaming concerns.

As a whole package though (considering gaming is not the only task you may be interested for), AMD nails it on that matter. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I think you misunderstood my comment, my bad, I did not communicate my point very well.

There is no CPU champion, performing best at everything. No such thing.

i9-9900K debatable for gaming? Averages, it is ahead. Case by case, depends. I have noticed some titles on a 240Hz monitor run faster with an i7-8086K vs my i9-9900K with both on their limits of overclocking. No question about it when i7-8086K hits 215fps and the 9900K hits 197fps. I know it is not a fluke. Of course silicon lottery and clock speeds, but pushing the 8086K it is quite some way ahead of my own 9900K. Online results show favorable correlation that i9-9900K edges the averages but that does not exclude the possibility of some titles being faster on another chip. The faster CPU can be considered subjective in context of titles one plays since some games can run faster with other CPU's. Averages are what they are, averages. Your average expenses do not mean you cannot go broke one month if you know what I mean.

It is self evident that a budget for 9900K is same for Ryzen 9 3900X give or take a few bucks. Case of win some lose some here. Certain heavily threaded tasks may run better with Ryzen. Pick your app or apps and choose CPU based on targets there. i9 impossible to factor in definitively without apps in mind.

Bang for buck. No brainer, if a gaming build get the i5-9400F or something like that. Will not win any benchmarking awards but sure as heck will game aptly for the measly price you buy it nowadays. 144Hz or less monitor, no better CPU for the price. Might run a little slower on CPU hogging titles like Battlefield but just about everything else will be blitzkrieg.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

OK. I appreciate your thoughts about that matter. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

for gaming the i9 9900k is better then the ryzen 9 3900x but if you are doing a lot of task or editing rendering I would go with the ryzen 9 3900x you really can go wrong with either of them

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube