add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this 2tb NVMe for $200 a good deal?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

For general or gaming use, I'd say yes. it's not a great SSD but it ought to be perfectly acceptable.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14893/adata-releases-xpg-sx8100-plain-and-fast

I mean it looks like it's a pretty nice NVMe by the numbers. They're just having a sale. And based on the specs and the price, it's cheaper and nicer than the 2TB Intel 600p I bought last year. If I was in the market for a NVMe this would be a hard deal to pass up and I would definitely get it over a 600p.

It's only a matter of do we think ADATA is just outright lying about the stated performance?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hard to tell without actual reviews, and the controller itself hasn't really been used much.

Considering the only real competition at that price for an NVMe drive though is the Intel 660p, and on the SATA end the ADATA SU800, I'd suspect it is at least competitive with those.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do you know if it uses that same quad frequency system (QLC) the 660p uses? I dont think it is but I can't seem to find certainty because I am uneducated! haha

Edit: Found that its SLC, but unsure which is better (QLC vs SLC)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It isn't SLC. It's TLC.

Modern SSDs (TLC and QLC, most commonly) use an algorithm called SLC caching in order to boost performance at low queue depths with smaller amounts of data. Rather than writing and filling each cell before moving on to the next, which is slower the more bits each cell has (4 bit in QLC and 3 bit in TLC), a drive will write one bit per cell, emulating the original SLC based drives. This is much faster, but limited in that eventually there needs to be enough space to handle incoming data while folding the contents of multiple single bit written cells into a single completely full cell. This is the point at which write performance drops dramatically. There's a bit more to it, such as sizing the SLC cache and how aggressively the controller folds SLC written bits into complete bits, but it means very little these days in marketing speak as pretty much every decent NVMe drive should have some amount of SLC caching except maybe some top performing MLC based drives.

QLC tends to have very poor write endurance and poor performance when the drive's SLC cache is depleted. Unless you are dropping massive amounts of 8K footage or similar large files to the drive on the daily, or planning to keep the drive practically 100% full, you shouldn't be too concerned with TBW specs and the issues of QLC.

Now the 8100 has some potential, but with how influential cache and controllers can be on the performance and endurance of a drive, I can't say for certain it is better than the QLC based and similarly priced 660p. It very well could be a much better deal than the 660p given the price and stated specs, but I'm always a bit hesitant without full reviews.

ADATA does at least have a track record of offering some decent flash products, and the drive's stated 5 year warranty is also encouraging. So there's that.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the detailed response. Know I at lease have some more knowledge of the SSD world! :) Yeah thats why I was interested in this drive because I know ADATA has been around for a while making good products. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some weird drive, because I feel like there should be a catch at this price.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i think the MX500 2TB as well as a SATA drive

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I read the Specs, not convinced on accuracy. Whatever the case, $200 for 2TB is not at all horrible and I would be surprised if it did not perform at least as well as the Intel 660p. Why not purchase it and let us know.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am definitely thinking about it but idk if should wait for more black Friday deals.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I tend to look at warranty and tbw for storage drives and the xpg drive has same tbw as the (for example one of the best) samsung evo plus and also 5 years warranty now to me that says alot. So a $200 sale on that drive would be a no brainer for me if i needed one.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The warranty is a good point, thank you. I might get it , but am just wondering if more deals will come out for black friday.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I should bench my gammix s11 but it was in a test and did very close to an EVO unless you really flogged it even then it was not terrible. Price was good, it was recommended. It is supposed to be same drive as adata 8200 but with a sink attached, iirc 8200 had same numbers. Though this was for a 480gb. Anyway they did not seem to be lying. Since I don't do video editing much I figure it was overkill for me at the time (spring '19) and somewhat futureproofed. Had no issues with it so far.

Crystalmark 64 MB/s is 2500 read 1600 write, with other programs going on PC if that matters.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube