add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I7-9700k vs I9-9900k

Triplechocolatecake

1 month ago

Good evening everyone, What is the difference between these two cpu’s? When I compare them both side by side the only difference I see is the core clock and boost clock. What would be better for strictly gaming. Not planning to overclock.

[edit] OR what is the best cpu for gaming? (Thinking about pairing it along with a RTX 2080 super)

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The i7 has 8core 8thread The i9 has 8core 16thread. Either would be great with a 2080 super

If you don’t plan to overclock (you should to utilize these CPUs) you may consider the locked version

But

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Subbuguru is it worth spending the extra money on the i9-9900k? If so, how would it benefit me? Thank you!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

8 true cores should last a long time for a pure gaming PC.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Okay. I was just doing some extra research on google too. The 9700k should be plenty for gaming along with a 2080 super. Thanks!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are going for bang for the buck, you might want to consider the Ryzen 3600/3700x.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the consideration but I am not going for the bang, neither am I trying to break my bank. I’m going for high fps performance. I have a dedicated streaming pc on the side.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For raw FPS overclocking the 9700k/9900k should get you about as far as you can go until new CPUs come out. The difference is likely not worth the extra cash.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would say yes. It gives a whole lotta more cores for 100 bucks. When you factor in the price of the rest of the system, it's less than a 10% price jump for double the threads. If you don't wanna OC, get the 9900 ks for auto 5 GHz. Just make sure you have a cooler like the noctua nhd15. You will need it. :D

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Okay I will think about all these options. Thank you so much

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

[edit] OR what is the best cpu for gaming? (Thinking about pairing it along with a RTX 2080 super)

Overall the 9900K > 9700K no question about it. However, in a purely gaming application it seems they are a virtual tie since both OC nicely and it really would take a game that scales with hyperthreading for the i9 to eek ahead. There are not really many titles that do.

Ostensibly they should be considered identical performance wise for gaming. If all you want to do is game, save your money and go with the i7-9700K and purchase a better cooler. You will want a high performing cooler as well research what goes with your PC case.

Interestingly have a look at the i7-8086K. My own specimen is pure ownage. Just pushed it to 5.6GHz and it beats my own i9-9900K in several games that I tested. I am really surprised to see a 6 core beat an 8 core in gaming but there you go. Results do not lie. That said my i9-9900K cannot OC as high, I can push 5.3GHz before stability issues set in.

Anyway, my own rambling/musing apart, go ahead and get the 9700K and use the money you could have paid for a 9900K for a better cooler.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you DrLitch, yes I will be going with the 9700k. I’m planning on doing a dual pc setup one specific for gaming and the other for streaming. The 9700k would save me money. I also done some extra research after posting this and the 9700k is a beast for gaming.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For strictly gaming, don't bother with a 9900K. The 9700K is "top notch".

What the 9900K does better is multi-threaded support, delivering about 35% added compute performance which is better targeted for optimised multi-threaded workloads.

Games don't necessarily see much benefit. Where applicable, there's just not enough performance gain to warrant the $120 asking price. Often there is talk of "better future proofing possibilities" which is true but in a similar time-line spending less and saving more for a quicker upgrade path puts those long-term investments to shame.

OR what is the best cpu for gaming? (Thinking about pairing it along with a RTX 2080 super)

If you're targeting a 2080 SUPER you're more likely to adopt a higher resolution display. Being HI-RES gaming is more GPU bound, and lesser CPU punishable, an AMD 3700X delivers parallel performance with the inclusion of MT support (matching the 9900K). Throws in an adequately performing stock cooler too, all-in-all for only $329. Value proposition at it's best!!

If the 2080 SUPER is aiming more towards maximising FPS on a 240hz 1080p panel - The 9700K's single threaded advantage has a noticeably better performance surplus (at stock + OC).

To simplify, if running at stock:

• 1440p/4K: go with Ryzen 3600/3700X. Also opens up 4000-series Ryzen upgrade possibilities on the same platform.

• 1080p: go with the 9700K.

• If overclocking is part-n-parcel with the builds requirement, stick with intel

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Live_ammo you’re the best man

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube