add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Considering upgrading my PC

hypergalaxy8
  • 6 months ago

My current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hypergalaxy8/saved/Z2yXHx

Upgrades I'm looking to make (anything that is 0.00 is originally there) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nfx29G

Some questions: 1. I did NOT update the BIOS at all (too nervous to tbh). Will doing these upgrades create complications? What must I do to make sure the upgrade progress goes smoothly. 2. Will mixing RAM types cause issues? Also, should I just go for 32GB bc it is much cheaper now? (My 8GB stick was $80 back in 2017, now 32GB is around $120-130). I'm not going to be doing anything that needs that much so I'm thinking not but idk. 3. Along with 1, how do I set up the SSD and how would I add an extra hard drive? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Updating the BIOS isn't too hard, and it won't usually cause any issues. (MSI has a tool called M-Flash, which isn't hard to use. It's also recommended to do this for security, as well.

• Mixing RAM types could cause issues, as the speed and timings would be different (ideally, you'd be better off buying the same stick of RAM, but since that isn't an option, buying a new kit would be your best bet)

• Unless you have the need for more RAM, 32GB usually is too much.

• To set up the SSD, you'd have to clone your drives (you'd clone the FireCuda's contents onto the SSD, then reformat the SSHD, and you should be good to go)

• Adding extra HDD drives should be easy (you'd install it into the existing enclosure, and then plug the data and power cables in)

• List looks OK, but you could do better (cheaper RAM kit and larger NVME drive)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $0.00
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $0.00
Motherboard MSI Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $0.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $66.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $106.69 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate FireCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING Video Card Purchased
Case NZXT S340 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $0.00
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $0.00
Case Fan Fractal Design HF14-BK 118.2 CFM 140 mm Fan $0.00
Case Fan Fractal Design HF14-BK 118.2 CFM 140 mm Fan $20.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $194.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 18:20 EST-0500
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Do you think I would need to update the BIOS in order for anything to work? Do you have a tutorial to a link for cloning/reformatting the SSD/SSHD?

Also, when I installed something a while ago, it decided to make Local Disc (D:) (which does not physically exist, my only hard drive is Local Disc (C:)). Will this cause complication?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point
  • You shouldn’t need to update the BIOS, but since it’s quite easy to do, I’d do it anyway (mainly for kernel security and stability)

• For reformatting a HDD, this link should give you some advice: https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-clone-a-hard-drive-or-ssd/

• I’m not sure that the program would affect anything, but I’d look at uninstalling that program and renaming the local disk back to C, just in case it does cause something to stuff up

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The D: drive seems to physically be on the SSHD along with C:, and it seems to be a partition or something (not really sure what it means). I uninstalled the program and the drive still exists. It has 449 MB total (6MB used, can't see what though), so I'm not very sure what to do with it.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Did some research on it, and that drive is apparently the recovery partition

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/mystery-local-disk-e-appears-after-features-update/9bd9334a-08aa-4fc5-933b-

You can't remove it, but you can hide it

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

So should I not worry about it?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube