add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for upgrade path for current build (its old!)

perljamm21

1 month ago

I built a rig off the great people of this community's advice years ago and am looking to upgrade some pieces at a time.

Link to current part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/perljamm21/saved/

I'm more of a casual gamer (love to play but don't get lots of time with 2 little kids in the house) who likes enhanced visuals. I don't have a 4k monitor but do have 4k tv's and have thought about upgrading for 4k streaming since the new Nvidia shield tv came out. My rig is currently in our basement so it doesn't get as much use as if I could stream to a tv upstairs. I think this means I would want to upgrade the graphics card first, but am not sure if thats overkill for the rest of the parts.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

With that amount of money, the best you could do for getting 4K at medium to high settings so with tweaked settings depending the game, is a Radeon RX 5700.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W821Z6C?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

AMD GPU is compatible with Intel CPU and my current motherboard correct?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You can mix and match CPUs (compatible with your board) and GPUs (from NVIDIA or AMD), it doesn't matter at all. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Cool, so the 5700 xt sounds like the card to get. I assume my current CPU won’t bottleneck the card. Would you upgrade RAM with an additional 8gb stick or not necessary?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I assume my current CPU won’t bottleneck the card.

At 4K that CPU should be OK.

Would you upgrade RAM with an additional 8gb stick or not necessary?

That depends from the game. So for less memory-intensive games 8GB may be enough, but for demanding games especially for the newer titles 16GB is recommended.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

And in rare cases, 32GB as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Probably a full upgrade.

Budget?

I am thinking USA?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I don't know, I am playing catch up to a lot of older games. Like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, etc. Just want em to look good and was thinking to mod them to 4k. Or play some newer titles as I get around to them in 4k. My system runs most any older game at Ultra settings so am happy with it for most part. Yes, in the USA. Would like to spend $350 on a new card but don't know if that's feasible for the 4k variety.

Thanks!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Meh, after doing more reading, I see where you are coming from with a new build since I mentioned 4K. Sounds like that would be a big leap right now. Maybe I’m better off optimizing for 1440p? Or would that be throwing good money after bad?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It would depend on the Hz of the monitor and budget.

And of course, OS and any other extras you may need (mouse/mousepad/speakers/keyboard)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have Windows 10 and all the peripherals. Not looking to upgrade those.

Monitor is ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS DisplayPort HDMI DVI Eye Care Monitor. I'd consider upgrading this for $300-$400 or so if adding G-Sync or something like that would make a big difference.

I've updated My saved parts list to reflect.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube