add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Storage Help

Goodperson5656

1 month ago

So I recently decided to upgrade my storage in my PC. Currently I am running a 1 TB 860 evo ssd from samsung. Im planning to add another 1TB ssd or an nvme m.2 drive. All I need to do is to plug the ssd in right? And if I did decide to go with an nvme m.2, How would I transfer the windows files and such to the new ssd and make it my boot drive?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point
  1. You need to format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

2. If I was switching to a M.2 I would do a fresh install although they are migration programs.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You can clone it from the current drive. It can be a pain to do, sometimes it works great, hard to say. Or like said you can do a new install.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Make sure you know what your m.2 slot takes, sometimes the second slot is sata it depends on the board. Nvme is faster but outside of huge files and video editing you probably wont see a big speed difference.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube