add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2 SSDs in my system, thoughts?

theofromlondon

1 month ago

I dont like the look, sound or size of 3.5 HDDs and so in my build I've got a 2.5 SSD 1tb for general storage and an M.2 NVME 512gb for my boot drive and a few games. A few of my friends have been telling me that 2 SSDs are not a good idea, so I just want some more opinions on this?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dXxWb8

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

If one 2tb is cheaper it's the better buy but otherwise it doesn't effect anything really to run two.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

having 2 SSD's is a great idea.

1-OS

2-game installs

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Not sure where that comes from, a drive is a drive. If I did mine over again I would go 1tb or more on my OS drive, and get the other one later. Its your OS drive you will have to replace if it is too small, and 2nd drive can be added any time. Unless you have a specific need to put things on different drives. And while nvme can be fast there is not much difference between nvme and sata ssd for normal or gaming use.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

A few of my friends have been telling me that 2 SSDs are not a good idea

Based on what? Sounds like they don't know what they're talking about to me tbh with you.

Build looks great imo btw, tho as noted nvme has no real world advantage for normal booting/loading so I'd prolly get another 1tb drive instead of the 500gig sabrent.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-mp600-pcie-4-nvme-ssd-review,11.html

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

if it is a good idea or not depends on the situation. Totally a good idea if you have one SSD already and need more SSD storage and buy another. Bad idea is if you are buying both at the same time and the costs for both SSDs are the same price or more expensive than buying one SSD that has the capacity of both.

In the second situation you might as well only take one port for storage to leave more room later on for future upgrades and in some cases get a better value. For example you selected a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SATA SSD and a Sabrent Rocket 512 GB NVMe SSD totalling 1.5TB of SSD space for ~£200. Now if all you use the PC for is gaming and don't use it for video editing videos using raw 4k footage then you won't notice much of a speed increase going to a faster NVMe vs a slower NVMe. For about the same cost you can get a 2TB Intel 660p NVMe SSD which is another half TB more in capacity making that a better value. Of course if you already had one of those 2 SSDs then getting another SSD is perfectly fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £99.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive £99.18 @ Aria PC
Storage Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £203.66 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £402.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-10 22:34 GMT+0000

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube