add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which is better i9 9900k or i7 9700k

Geolite

28 days ago

Now i was just wondering around and i notice that 9th gen i9 and i7 have alot of the same specs except the i9 had hyper-threading, but the i7 does not, and that the i7 has 3 types of L cache, and this is confusing, so whats better?

Comments

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much all CPU's have three levels of cache these days, certainly the 9900K and 9700K both do.

The 9900K will always at least match the 9700K and will often be a bit faster, depending on what's running. So it's "better" as long as we're just talking about performance and not value.

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

For gaming they are ostensibly the same performance wise until you come across a title that has hyper-threading. Read Dead Redemption 2 has benchmarks that err tremendously towards the i9-9900K with the i7-9700K giving some rather alarmingly low 0.1 % numbers. For most titles though the 9900K and 9700K are about tied and if not fall within the margin of error.

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

Red Dead has a bug where if some form of SMT isn't enabled the game stutters like a 2700K@stock (Yes an old Sandy Bridge) won't stutter but a 7600K/8350K/8600K@5ghz will even Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz with SMT disabled stutter.

• 27 days ago
  • 2 points

That game just seems like a nightmare! I'm going to stay away from that for a while.

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

I would not count Read Dead Redemption 2 performance yet until they get the bugs worked out to make it generally playable. JayzTwoCents did a video about it where out of several PCs he tried to play it on only one of his PCs worked and the rest could not even launch the game. Not sure how much has been fixed since that video but it was known then there were some serious issues with the game.

For games using hyperthreading you would see more of a difference when comparing a 4 core 4 thread CPU to a 4 core 8 thread CPU. Most benchmarks for games set the 9700k and the 9900k to be extremely close in performance. Close enough you will never tell the 2 apart in a blind side by side test. Both CPUs are good CPUs but if gaming is the only concern I would opt for the 9700k instead. You still get 8 full cores on your CPU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube