add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should i use an sshd for my server

Geolite

1 month ago

So im trying to build a modded minecraft pc and trying to save as much money and say that a 1tb sshd is the same as a 1tb hdd, but i wonder if its ok for modded minecraft. Here is the part list

Plz help : (

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

a quick google search brings back answers that HDD/SSD speeds are negligible in relation to Minecraft performance as it is largely bottlenecked by the CPU. It will be fine to get the SSHD (although I'm not a fan of them), but it will work. The HDD will be fine as well and be cheaper. That is just from google info and I've not ran any comparisons myself.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hmm ok

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No, an SSD will help insanely with reading the world files and getting it to the end user.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would say these are his options:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/ftPfrH,44Gj4D,hTzkcf,pxKcCJ/

If he has not purchased any of the hardware yet he can ditch the HP NVMe SSD and get a 1TB SSD and it won't cost him too much more. He can partition the SSD to have ~80gb for the OS and other stuff and the rest for minecraft. Well technically you don't need to partition and keep it all on the same drive letter. For example these 2 options:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $36.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.49 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $76.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 19:16 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Team L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $82.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $82.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 19:17 EST-0500

Only about a $6 difference. Can also upgrade storage at a later time if 1TB isn't enough.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A typical hard disk will read at 80-160 MB per second. Assuming his internet is the average 100Mbps download that is 12.5 MB per second. Yes a SSD will be much faster, but I guess I'm not convinced he can actually serve that to any users at that speed since his internet won't be equal in up/down stream unless he has fiber or something, in which case it's worse. Charter's 200Mbps service has 10Mbps upload for example. So that is a measly 1.25 MB/s he can serve to end users. A 1000 Mbps upload speed would still only be 125MB/s and in the HDD range. With that speed, i guess it could be somewhat quicker, but nothing I would call 'help insanely'.

I'd still get a SSD myself anyway. 1 SATA SSD will be around the price of the nvme/HDD combo.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Speed can be defined more than just the max read/write speed of a drive. Random 4k performance can make a large difference if you are running programs off it where there is a huge difference between HDDs and SSDs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube