add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
dethnode1

2 months ago

So my boss has asked me to design and build him a home office PC. After several topics on here, and trying to research as much as possible, I have come up with 4 parts lists...

First, the PC is again for my boss, he is 60 years old, an accountant, and will share this PC with his wife. They will use it for general web browsing, very rarely his grandchildren will use it to watch youtube videos, but the main function of the PC will be accounting programs like quickbooks, and very heavy microsoft excel and word usage.

Primary goals would be fast boot and program launching, and dependability. With slightly less improtance placed on the ability for it to handle very large excel workbooks with multiple sheets and some complex formula computations, no scripting. All of that to say, there will never be a game loaded onto this PC, the grandchildren use their phones or they bring their consoles when they are playing game, no computer gaming at all will be done.

So when discussing budget, he said he wanted it to perform and to not need to be upgraded or replaced for minimum of 5 years. He didn't want to spend a fortune, but he didn't want to skimp and save $100 and give up performance.

So I have compiled four parts lists, I will be waiting until Black Friday and Cyber week to buy most of it, unless you guys think it will not save much in terms of money.

I don't want to needlessly spend money, but if the 3600 will be a vast improvement over the 2600 then I would prefer to go that route since the costs increase are not too substantial.

3400G https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BwWb8M

2600 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pmn7TC

9400 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2M8Jb8

3600 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kyJf9G

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

To my way of thinking, the 3400G is the best choice. It's going to roughly match the 2600 in single thread speed; the extra 2 cores in the 2600 likely aren't going to be all that significant for excel work. By eliminating the discrete GPU, there's less to go wrong, and the Vega 11 built into the 3400G is about the same performance as a 1030 anyway. Yes, the 3600 will be faster, but unless he runs excel calculations that take minutes or hours, I can't see it making enough of a difference to be worth it.

I've tweaked the list to add an inexpensive CPU cooler that is way better than the stock cooler, and to match the case size to the motherboard. Your lists show no price for the PSU; the Seasonic Focus is perfectly fine, but I've listed another excellent PSU with a price showing. I've also listed a different monitor just for consideration; 2560x1440 at 32 inches gives about the same pixel size as a 1080p monitor at 24 inches, yet has 1/3 more screen space. If you're looking for a "large print" style display, then by all means stick to the LG. (I'm over 60 with aging eyesight, and 1440p at 32 inches works for me, but it may not for everyone.)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor $138.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Freezer 12 CPU Cooler $21.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $83.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $129.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $97.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case $44.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply BitFenix Whisper M 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $77.49 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $39.95 @ Amazon
Monitor Dell S3219D 32.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor $215.97 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $949.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 12:16 EST-0500

I considered replacing the 660p with a Sabrent Rocket, but for this usage I don't think it's going to matter unless the 1 TB is going to be filled beyond maybe 2/3 or 3/4 full.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for that, I am glad you commented, I didn't even notice the case was not the same form factor as the mobo.

So, of the components listed, what components am I most likely to see black friday deals on? I would assume I am much more likely to find a good deal on memory and storage than on a PSU...

Do you think it likely for the 3400G or any options at MOBO to be discounted? What about the OS do they typically discount windows?

Don't monitors usually come up for discounts around black Friday on amazon?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think you'll see the 3400G discounted. For the motherboard, either stick to the MSI Max boards, or make sure you have one that's listed as "Ryzen 3000 ready", or you'll end up in BIOS upgrade hell. (I assume you don't have a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen lying around for upgrading with.) Even though the 3400G isn't really a Ryzen 3000, it still needs the later BIOS versions so that the processor is recognized.

My experience with Black Friday is that nothing I want is ever discounted. Other people get lucky. Unless you're an insider, I don't think anyone can predict what will go on sale and what won't.

I guess I should note that if it's likely that the computer's usage will change over time, the 2600 with separate GPU might be a better choice, purely from the potential upgrade standpoint. For Excel and accounting with no gaming, I expect that the 3400G will be fine for years.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube