add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

bruhkayne

1 month ago

I don't fully understand what this means, and was wondering if it affects my build badly or not? Here is my build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JFHgJb

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Not badly, just that one of the SATA ports is disabled when you use an M.2 SSD. A lot of motherboards do this. So you'll have one less SATA 3 ports to hook up a drive to. The motherboard you have there has 6 ports, so you won't have any issues unless you're trying to run 6 HDDs with that M.2.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It means that one of the slot is actually SATA3.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

From what I read about this motherboard: What it really means is when you install an M.2 SSD to M.2_1 (Socket3) then this performs in SATA mode and SATA port 2 AKA SATA6G_2 becomes disabled because this port 2 between the M.2 socket3 shares bandwidth. If it were a PCIe (or NVMe) SSD installed to M.2_1 (socket3) than the SATA port 2 AKA SATA6G_2 continues to run as normal, meaning no disabled port.

Regardless it doesn't effect your build at all. Just something to be aware about.

Also be aware about SATA6G_5 & SATA6G_6 shares bandwidth with PCIEx16_3 slot. I highly suggest installing the GPU to PCIEx16_1.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hello,

Read through this discussion, it will explain how this works.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99659-Disabling-SATA-1-if-Using-M-2_1

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

This is totally normal and "affecting my build badly...." doesn't even come into the equation.

Your build consists of a Samsung 970 evo NVME SSD. This device slots onto the motherboards M.2 slot. The M.2 slot shares the same lanes as one/two SATA ports. Hence, when slotting in your Samsung NVME SSD, one or two of the SATA ports will be disabled (normal).

Your motherboard has 6 SATA ports hence losing 1/2 isn't a problem unless you were planning on utilising all 6 slots in the long run (unlikely for the vast majority). All you need to do is refer to the motherboards manual and see which SATA ports are disabled and then avoid them when adding additional SATA devices.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube