add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ultra M.2 vs regular m.2

jm1gic
  • 6 months ago

Good afternoon! I know some things, but also don't know a lot of things, and something I don't know about is harddrive stuff.

So I have a 2tb regular HD, and then I have a smaller SSD and since it's birthday/ christmas time I thought I would add a hard drive to my list. My question is. My mother board has 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4), 1 M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x2 & SATA3). I have heard these are fast and possibly better than a regular SSD drive. Is that true, and what is the difference between the 'ultra' and the not ultra?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My mother board has 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4), 1 M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x2 & SATA3).

One is wired for x4 the other has half the available bandwidth as its wired for x2.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the info!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The NVMe drives (the ones with the PCIe interface) are faster than the SATA drives on paper, and sometimes in actual use. Large sequential transfers are faster: large video clips, large raw photo images, some parts of boot-up, large scene change files (in a few games, e.g. modded Skyrim), database or virtual machine serving, etc. For general use and most gaming use, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between NVMe and SATA. (and even more hard pressed to distinguish x2 NVMe from x4 NVMe.)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

great! thanks for the info!

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

NVMe used to be more expensive and SATA was the way to go but now it is much cheaper and much more common. More and more people are starting to pickup the NVMe versions since depending what you buy they can be very close in price to the SATA version. There is still nothing wrong with getting a SATA drive, but personally i'd look at the NVMe options since if you are keeping it 5 years, it is not likely you will be buying a SATA drive again later, so better to have both nvme down the road which would allow fast transfers of data between them. All depends on the price and sales going on at time of purchase though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube