add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD vs HD

Tatertotsz
  • 4 months ago

So, I am getting ready to tackle my first build. I am on a tight budget but can go a few bucks over. I am looking for some advice on where to go. What is better? Should I get both? I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

You will want a SSD as it's general speed and responsiveness is like night and day between the two. If money is tight, the best bet is to get the SSD and put the OS on it, you can always get a 2nd SSD or HHD later to add in for more space but you definitely want the main OS on the SSD. A 250GB ssd can be as cheap as $25 or 500gb around $45 assuming you get the cheap end of drives. If you post a build list and budget, everyone can help better on a specific drive selection.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do! Link is below. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kwZ6Rk Budget is just keeping it under 600$

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The HP EX920 is a nice 500Gb NVMe drive for the m.2 slot and is $64 from NewEgg. Might go on sale for black friday though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mNx2FT/hp-ex920-512gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-2yy46aaabc

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed on if budget is a concern a 500gb SSD is a solid starting option as you can get windows and several games on it at once and it is easy to add more storage later on. OP would just need to remember to save the sata cables that comes with the motherboard so he can hook up other sata SSDs or HDDs.

If OP knows he will add more storage later when building the system it does not hurt to pre-wire the build to have the sata cables plugged into the motherboard and routed to where the drive cages are. Basically that means when a new drive is added all he has to do is put it into the case bracket for it and plug in the cables that are already there. I often do that for other people's builds when there are extra sata cables with the motherboard so upgrading is easier later on.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

A lot depends if you need 2TB or more of storage. HDDs are great if you need a ton of slowish storage, but I'd recommend looking at the TB/$ list (but be careful of Amazon listings, especially Hitachi. A lot of used drives have popped up the list). You typically want at least 3TB of space, and often 2TB costs barely more than 1TB.

If 1TB (or less) is enough for all your storage, just get a big SSD. The costs of building the basics of an HDD simply don't justify the cost compared to expanding a SSD that much. That said, there are two types of people. Those with a backup and those who will wish they had a backup. HDDs are one of the best ways to backup data right now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube